Chapter 12 - On the Look Out

Morning came in a blur. Matt stretched himself off of the sofa and literally crawled into his clothes for school. His head was throbbing and his eyes hurt with the lack of sleep but he would cope for now.

It wasn't as if he'd never done it before.

He needed to keep an eye open from now on. That meant full alert, longer shifts out at night, watching everyone and anyone who looked suspicious. He had to figure out what was going on before things began to go out of control.

Though it was arguable whether that had already happened.

          Nothing seemed much different than before the information he’d picked up on last night. As he exited his house, he scanned the neighbourhood. Everyone still did their daily routine and acted fine around each other. They seemed oblivious to what was occurring. Though, Matt knew that most of them never watched the news and, if they did, they only half listened. No one cared about what happened to the world unless it directly affected them.

Selfish people.

He couldn’t pin point anything that may have caused concern so he removed his focus and began to walk to college.

          Matt moved down the roads slower than normal, checking out every person who may look like some kind of murder or someone who acting suspiciously. Out of all of them, he probably seemed the most suspicious out of everyone. No one was paying a blind bit of notice to him.

Some women went past with their kids and pulled them to their legs by their hands as they passed Matt, looking at him with the same suspicious weary eyes that probably reflected his own but not bothering to stop, shuffling their kids forwards quickly in the opposite direction. It was expected, of course. If you glared at people for a certain amount of time they ended up becoming paranoid or weary, especially if you were a teen like Matt was, and a big one at that.

No doubt he looked pretty intimidating and dangerous right now.

          Nothing was out of the ordinary so it was difficult to spot anything strange, except the weird glances people gave him once they came within a yard of him after being stared at for about 5 seconds each.

          For some reason he reached the school quicker than he thought and he had to wait around a bit as he was five minutes before the bell. He dumped his bag on the ledge of the window inside the corridor and leaned against the wall, sighing with boredom.

He didn’t want to be doing nothing. Doing nothing meant having to think about things to do. He didn’t want to think about anything because his head pounded quite painfully. That, and he was tired. If he stood still long enough he would end up falling asleep. Therefore, he shifted his weight from one foot to the other, forcing himself to open his eyes whenever they closed drowsily.

“Tired?”

Matt jumped and then coughed as he took a lung full of raspberries. He turned his back to her and breathed in roughly, his eyes watering slightly at the corners.

“Oh god, I'm sorry. Are you okay?” She touched his arm but he waved her off and covered his mouth with his hands. She stood there patiently as he got over the stink and then watched him as he straightened up and looked at her. “Are you alright?”

“Fine.” Matt muttered and blinked his eyes quickly, trying to focus. 

Well at least that woke him up a bit. There was no way he was going to go to sleep now. He forced his eyes to focus as Kristen's face loomed into view, probably closer than he would have liked.

She cocked her head to the side, a slight smile on her lips. “You look rough.” 

“Could say that.” He murmured under his breath and looked at the ceiling, sighing. He didn't want to deal with her today. He never wanted to deal with her. She was a pain in the backside, an itch he couldn't get rid of, a flee that wouldn't leave him alone.