Chapter 10 - Oh Gareth.

Matt knew that Kristen would be sitting with a lad at lunch but he didn’t realise how it was going to affect him until he actually saw it for himself. When he entered the canteen, he forced himself not to look at where he knew Kristen would be sitting and focussed on getting his food. He didn’t even need to look anyway because he could smell her scent from as soon as he entered and it blocked his nose.

          He went into the queue and concentrated on the food smells instead, glaring at the meat along the counter. It was chicken, burgers or some kind of small kebab with pork. Matt decided on all three, rare if he could get it so, and then moved towards his table. He sat down and forced himself to keep his eyes down, knowing that if he looked up he would instantly lock eyes with Kristen and this Gareth who she was having lunch with.

          After getting half way through, his head was beginning to hurt. He couldn’t look down forever. Sooner or later he had to look up and see them. He tilted his head slightly and looked up straight at the table. Kristen was picking at a tray of food, kebabs, if his nose was correct, and the apple next to her plate lay untouched. She sipped her drink of water and was smiling at who must be Gareth. He was tall with dark hair and curls around his ears. His eyes were muddy but mysterious looking and his smile was obviously something he used to charm all of the girls he met.

          Now that he had looked up, he couldn’t seem to look away. His stomach grumbled due to the smell of food in front of him, yet he couldn’t concentrate on it. Kristen looked like she was having fun. She was laughing and Gareth was too, moving closer undetected every time they laughed. Kristen shuffled in her chair as if she couldn't keep still.

          For some reason Matt had the urge to get up, push his tray away, walk over there and drag Gareth away from Kristen. Something didn’t feel right. It felt wrong. It felt as if something bad was going to happen. Whatever it was, it was going to affect Kristen, and not in a good way. Gareth looked like the kind of guy who would break a girl’s heart in a blink of an eye and not be worried about the mess he left behind.

          In fact, Matt had seen Gareth around school a few times, he just hadn’t registered him as important. Gareth always had a girl after him or on his arm. That wasn’t a good sign in Matt's books, if he bothered to focus on the matter. He didn't like focussing on people for the sole purpose that their actions annoyed him. Matt felt a rumble and it wasn’t coming from his stomach.

          He wasn’t jealous of him. Of course he wasn’t. Why would he be jealous of a boy who was close to Kristen? It’s not like he wanted to be near Kristen. Her smell drove him crazy and all she wanted to do was attack him and find out everything about him. It wasn’t a good thing to have around him. There was enough problems in his life already without adding her to the list. She wasn’t his girlfriend and was never going to be so she was allowed to hang around with other lads, no matter how bad they may be for her.

          He tore his eyes away from them and shoved another kebab into his mouth. She was allowed to have boyfriends; he shouldn’t be bothered. He shouldn’t meddle with her life any more than necessary.

Its not like he wanted to. She was the one who wanted to be with him, not the other way around.

Actually, he was happy she was with Gareth. It would push her away and stop her swooning over him. It was a good thing, no matter what that other feeling was. As long as she was away from him and away from the danger of his changing form whenever he was angry or emotional he should be happy.

Should be.

          Yet for some reason he wasn’t. His eyes glowed and his mouth twitched. He could still feel a wolf pull to go over there and drag him away. He ripped the meat up and chewed, trying to distract himself. It didn’t work.