Chapter 4 - Midnight Changes

He was glad that he could go home at 3. He wished he could go home earlier but that was life. Especially, since Kristen had joined, he definitely wanted to leave. Anything to get away from her scent was good for him. It was starting to become a common smell to him and he knew that that was probably a bad sign. He could smell her in every room she was in now, no matter how many people were around, because he’d been close to her in a few lessons and his nose had adjusted to the constant tinge of raspberries in the air.

In time, if she walked into a room full people he would realise straight away even if he was on the other side of the room. He couldn’t get raspberries out of his nose and it was annoying him. It had only been a day and already his body was adjusting to her. His body wasn't supposed to adjust to anything but him. The frustrating fact was that he'd only just realised this.

“What do you mean it’s not your future?” She asked and looked into his avoided eyes.

He had to open his eyes fully to figure out where exactly he was. Too lost in thought, Kristen had snuck up on him again. He sighed quietly in annoyance at her presence. “Nothing.”

“Matt…”

“I said nothing.” He growled and picked up a pencil from the desk, fiddling with it in his fingers. A few minutes to go, that was all, just a few minutes. He could stand her for a few more moments. He was strong enough. He twisted the pencil literally around his fingers and the lead snapped in several places, the wood splintering when the pencil couldn't bend the way he wanted it to.

“You’ll hurt your finger.” She said and he curled his lip slightly, wishing she would shut up and go away. So what if he hurt himself? He could heal if he wanted to. He’d be perfect by tomorrow if he even scratched himself.

“No I wont.” He straightened the pencil out again and it broke into pieces, shattering on the table. He glanced around (though he was on the back row as usual) to check if anyone was watching and of course no one was except Kristen next to him. No one liked to risk turning round in case he saw them looking at him and attacked them or something ridiculous. Who knew what went through people's heads.

He picked up the pencil and engulfed it with his hands, squashing it to pieces. She was watching with expectation and he smirked, wondering how strong she thought he was. Though he didn't like showing off, sometimes he liked to make sure that people realised that he was strong underneath all of his layers. He wasn't just tall and made of bones.

          He felt the pencil splinter and snap completely in his hands, felt the lead snap in several places and shrivel into tiny pieces. He squeezed only slightly harder and felt all of it turn to dust. His hands tingled with splinter marks but already they were falling out of him. He looked into Kristen’s eyes and wondered if he should blow it into her face and blind her. Maybe it would teach her a lesson not to talk to people who don’t want to be talked to.

          No, he held his hands to his lips and blew gently. The dust wafted and drifted through the air in little particles and the more he blew, the more he opened his hands to let the dust escape. She watched with wide eyes and followed her gaze up his arm to his face, searching his eyes for signs of something. Once the dust disappeared into the air, he dropped his hands and raised his eyebrows at Kristen’s expression. She smiled and breathed out.

“Nice trick.”

He shrugged in response.

Realising that she wasn't going to get much else out of him, she continued, “Can you show me how you do it? Where’s the pencil gone?” She glanced around him to his sleeves for any sign of the pencil. Of course she wouldn’t believe that he’d actually destroyed it and turned it to dust. He tapped his nose and his eyes darted to the clock.