Chapter 23 - Awkward Encounters

Matt slept a hell of a lot better than he was used to. Although he wasn't sleeping on his bed, the floor was still just as nice. Being a werewolf did that to you. He coud sleep anywhere if he felt like it. It wasn't as if he was complaining.

When Matt woke up, he turned onto his side and yawned quietly, stretching before he realised that there was a girl in his bed. Startled, he sat up straight, brushing the blanket, which was draped over his body, aside. 

As the memories of last night came flooding back, Matt had to smile slightly. He was glad that he had been able to tell someone about his secret. It was as if a weight had been lifted straight off of his shoulders. He'd needed someone to listen to him. Despite the fact that he'd told Kristen so that she would be scared, pushing her away from him, he was glad that she'd stayed to hear the whole story. He was also kind of glad that she wasn't completely terrified of him.

She had understood his pain. She had realised what was bothering him so much. Matt knew that that weight would have helped him sleep, especially as now, when he turned, he could see Kristen lying as still as a statue on his bed, flat on her back with her eyes delicately closed, her hands resting on her stomach. She looked so peaceful but so still that it slightly worried him.

Was she dead? He had been staring at her for the past minute now and she stillhadn't moved. She hadn't even taken a breath. Usually he could see someone's heart beating in their chests but with Kristen he couldn't see a thing. Even turning on his radar, which he struggled to do considering as he'd been neglecting it lately, didn't show anything different. Her temperature was still the same block of colour which it usually was. 

Maybe she was ill.

Though, right now, as she lay in his bed, a feeling of dread came over him. What had happened after he'd sorted out his room for her to sleep in? Had he attacked her? Had he killed her just like he'd murdered his family? He'd never slept in the same room as someone before so he didn't know what he did in his sleep. Could he have possibly killed her whilst sleeping?!

He quietly got up from the floor after carefully folding back the blanket and leaned over his bed to look at Kristen's sculptured face. She was even more beautiful close up. Her face had a natural striking feeling about it. Her lips were still the colour of blood and her hair contrasted startlingly with her pale skin. 

Matt leaned further forward so that his head was close to her face and he listened for an intake of breath. When there wasn't one, Matt's heart broke. 

He'd done it again.

"Kristen?" He pushed a strand of hair from her face and touched her forehead. She was definitely cold. "Kristen please." He whispered and took hold of her shoulder, gripping his fingers into her flesh gently.

He shook her slightly but she stayed motionless.

"Kristen!" He said louder and shook her even more, her shoulder almost slamming into the bed in Matt's panic.

Suddenly her eyes slammed open and she sat immediately upwards, causing Matt to crash to the floor in a breathless heap. "Matt! She exclaimed and jumped out of bed to try and help him up. There was no point, however, because he'd already pushed himself into the standing position. "I'm sorry!" She fussed as she reached out towards him. 

Matt stepped backwards away from her touch before he sighed in relief. He looked up through his eyebrows at her carefully. "I thought I'd hurt you. You don't move at all when you sleep. You didn't even breathe." 

Kristen licked her rosy lips and dragged her teeth across the bottom one. "Oh. Yeah. I have a condition where I stop breathing every so often when I sleep. Many people have it. I've been to the doctors about it."