Chapter 9 - Almost...Almost...Nah Got You Again!

Matt didn’t see Kristen again until break. He’d forced himself to stay human, the pain trying but failing to fight back. It had left him panting and reaching for breath in the middle of the alleyway. Thank god Kristen had disappeared otherwise he wouldn’t have been able to calm down and suck in a lung full of oxygen. It was hard enough doing it around himself nevermind doing it with someone staring at him and judging his movements. Raspberries still lingered in the air but at least it wasn’t as concentrated as if she had stayed and refused to leave.

          It really hadn’t been a good idea to have breakfast with her. It was way too dangerous and definitely too risky. He couldn’t understand how he had let go and let her bury her way into his emotions. She had been too close…and he’d nearly snapped at her.

          Visions of what could have been flooded into his mind like a tidal wave as he leaned against the corridor outside class, breathing and sucking in more air.

Art had been difficult to concentrate in. Their unit was supposed to be drawings of people’s actions, yet all he could draw was an animal attacking a beautiful pale girl with dark piercing eyes, who stared with shock, her hands and mouth open with confusion. His teacher had glanced over, frowned, realised that Matt was watching and had scurried off to help another student. No one would ever come to help him, except Kristen, though he hoped that the situation before had put her off him for the moment at least.

          Matt watched as all the other students filed into the yard, all taking the other exit to stay away from him. His lips curled up in the corners. Just because Kristen got into his soft spot didn’t mean she, or anyone else, was going to access it again. He had shut, locked and bolted that gate, throwing away the key. No one could ever get that close, never again.

          It was sad really. He was going to be alone and he wished his future wasn’t planned out for him. He wished he could grow up a normal teenager, have a few lovers, get married, have kids, maybe have some fun at night with friends and family members.

No such luck.

He was a doomed teenager.

          There was no point complaining about it though; he couldn’t change anything now. Matt moved slowly out into the yard of flowery smells and earthy grains. Only one jumped out at him, and that smell was coming from the other side of the yard. He cursed his nose for picking her out so quickly and hoped that she hadn’t noticed him yet.

          Moving to an empty bench, he sat down and took out his drawing book, picking up his sharp pencil and flipping to another blank page. Closing his eyes, he breathed out before opening them slowly and moving his hand across the paper. He could always draw beter in a situation where someone wasn't looking over him every few minutes.

He should just not go to Art class. He was going to get an A anyway.

          He didn’t realise what he was drawing until he’d finished: a beautiful common butterfly with a hand holding one of it’s fluttering wings between the thumb and forefinger. Matt frowned, trying to make sense of the picture, and came up blank. He was sure the butterfly represented Kristen, but the hand didn’t make much sense to him. Was she trapped by something, maybe?

          His nose twitched and he snapped his head up, a growl running up towards his throat. He stopped abruptly when Laura hovered over him, eyebrows raised, hand on hip, acting as if she owned him. He sat up and glared at her, feeling the tickling in his throat again. “What?”

“Just thought I’d let you know, if you think Kristen is trying to ‘get together’ with you,” She physically emphasized the quotation marks with her fingers, “You’re wrong. She can do so much better than you and she has her eye on someone else. So if you think you’ve got a chance, you can think again.”