Chapter 20 - The Second Attack and A Confession from Beyond

“I try hard only to be him, you always wanted in life, still I just bring you misery, what can I do?”

Matt murmured to the music he was blurring into his ears. Dead By April always seemed to match to his life story. He was at home, his eyes closed as he lay on his bed, waiting for the change to come. He could feel it on the brim of spilling over and was bracing himself for the pain to begin. He should have been in the kitchen, really, but he was so comfy at the moment he really didn’t feel like moving. It was going to be messy, wherever he was, it was just easier to clean up in the kitchen.

          He’d been lying this way for about fifteen minutes, waiting for it to happen. The sun had gone down so it was just a matter of minutes until it began. He was relaxed for the moment, his mind almost blank except the lyrics that ran around his head much too loud for his sensitive ears.

          The thing he was most trying to forget was Kristen, of course. He should be out trying to catch this thing that had been quiet the past few days. As far as Matt knew, there had been no more murders or disappearances. Maybe they’d moved on to the next town.

He hoped so. It was terrible to think, but he was glad he didn’t have to put effort in finding whatever it was. He had too much to think about.

God he was selfish.

          Matt opened his eyes and blinked up at the ceiling. He had to move at some point. He sat up and rubbed his eyes, pulling out his earphones and dropping his phone on the bed.

He was tired. He didn’t sleep much anyway and his body was used to it but he just wanted to be lazy tonight. He decided he was going to stay in.

Then he saw something.

          He jumped to his feet so quick he almost fell over. The shadow was back. Watching him. In his room. In the corner. A misty area of particles that swirled slowly. He hadn’t heard it come in or smelt it or anything. He’d been so vulnerable. It could have done anything to him. He stood and braced himself in a kind of crouch, his fists clenched.

          The shadow suddenly stilled as if it was solid in some way and froze against the wall. Matt took a deep breath and then growled in his throat, stepping forward. It instantly twisted around and Matt lunged.

Missed.

It span out of the way and a hissing noise came from within it. Matt glared at it then stopped in surprise. It had teeth. Sharp pointy teeth. There had been just a glimpse of the pearly white canines but they were definitely there.

Before he was able to process this information, it whooshed out of the window.

          Matt ran to the window and looked down. It was blowing down the road like lightning. It soon went out of sight and Matt glared at where it had disappeared. He couldn’t have a lazy night in after all.

It hadn’t gone.

It had been hiding.

It was back.

It was lethal.

It was armed with sharp weaponry. This was the murderer. It must tear it’s victims with it’s teeth and eat them. He wasn’t sure what it was but whatever it was it was on the hunt tonight.

He had to stop it.

          He was so frustrated that he turned a wolf the moment the thing disappeared. What good timing. He rushed to the kitchen and ripped out of his skin, shaking his fur free. His clothes lay crumpled in a heap in the corner to stop the blood getting on them and staining them.