Interview with @KatrinHollister

@KatrinHollister is the author of 'The Windcaster' and is also an active participant in the 'Critters' Workshop', which is a thread dedicated to serious writers looking to improve their writing styles. The link to this thread is provided in the external link.

Enjoy!

______________________________________________

1. What do they call you?

A. Kat, or Katrin. I’ve been called “Frog” (my first profile pic) and “Firestarter” too

2. For how long have you been writing?

A. I’ve faffed with story-writing since I was 11, although I didn’t manage to complete anything until 13. In terms of writing seriously—planned stories, thought-out characters, transitions etc.—I would probably say from about 15 on, so about 7 years.

3. Which part of writing a story, do you enjoy the most? (Creating characters, the plot and the subplots, the beginning/ending or the middle)

A. I enjoy all of it, but in particular creating characters and when they first arrive at a new scene. I like imagining their reactions and thought processes as they absorb new information.

4. Have you faced any embarrassing moments, in terms of writing?

A. I found announcing my secret writing passion mortifying, truth be told. I don’t usually broadcast it and I consider it a bit like a secret hobby, but I thought I’d brave it to chance more feedback. That’s about the most embarrassing thing regarding writing.

5. Which is your favorite color? Have you made any reference to it in your story/stories?

A. Purple, but it hasn’t come up yet. I do have a purple stethoscope though ;-)

6. Out of the stories you have written on Wattpad, which is the most memorable one?

A. “The Windcaster”. I haven’t really put many stories on here, because I haven’t written that many, but “The Windcaster” was a project I’d spent four months on, staying up late at night because I’d had a zap of inspiration, scribbling it during clinics when on placement, doodling concept art during lectures… it was all that was on my mind apart from exams, during those months!

7. Are you planning on publishing soon?

A. I don’t think I stand a chance at my current level. It’s an awesome dream, but I have a slight feeling it’ll remain a dream.

8. Which is your favorite book/series on Wattpad?

A. One of the first books I’d read when joining Wattpad was “Freaks of Greenfield High” by MareeAnderson. I’m not big on romance, but that story was really well-written, funny, and I couldn’t put it down.

9. What kind of help do you provide - critiques, free advice or editing?

A. I do free critiques and editing, although my skills are nowhere near pro. I’m part of a group called “Critter’s Workshop” with a few other Wattpadders (I think you’re interviewing at least one of the others in this book) and we offer random users free critiques on a weekly basis. After that, we take something we wish to spotlight (e.g. tenses, dialogue tags, dialogue punctuation, “showing-not-telling” etc.) and discuss it on the thread. I think a few users have found that thread useful.

(you can check out the thread by clicking on the external link !)

10. Which author do you idolize (off Wattpad)?