Interview with @DemelzaCarlton

@DemelzaCarlton is the author of 'Nightmares of Caitlin Lockyer' and also has six books scheduled to be published this year! You can check out her story by clicking on the external link!

Enjoy!

_______________________________________________________________________

1. What do they call you?

A. I'm Demelza Carlton – though I do answer to Dem.

2. For how long have you been writing?

A. I started writing Nightmares of Caitlin Lockyer when I was 12, which is almost 20 years ago now, but the first book I wrote to publish was Ocean's Gift in 2012.

3. Which part of writing a story, do you enjoy the most? (Creating characters, the plot and the subplots, the beginning/ending or the middle)

A. I like the first draft stage, when the characters are spinning their story out for me in my head. It's like watching the best, most suspenseful TV series – and my fingers race across the keyboard, trying to type fast enough to keep up with the story they show me.

4. Have you faced any embarrassing moments, in terms of writing?

A. I do a fair bit of research for my work and that means going to some unusual places or doing strange things. For Nightmares, I ventured to a shooting range and practised with various pistols, but I also searched for a site like the one where Caitlin's held after her abduction. Exploring some old World War II bunkers, I thought I'd found the perfect one. It was in a lonely spot, hidden in bushland, so dark and deep that the only light penetrating it was from my little torch, smelling like something had died in it and no one would ever know…and then my torch died. There I was with a dead torch, my camera and my imagination on overdrive for a book that's a dark thriller…and I'm embarrassed to say, I suddenly realised that perhaps I was scared of the dark and bolted out of that bunker real fast. I'm just lucky that it was so isolated and no one saw me!

5. Which is your favorite color? Have you made any reference to it in your story/stories?

A. My favourite colour would be storm blue, the colour of the ocean on a cloudy day, which is also a favourite with one of the mermaids in my Ocean's Gift series – Vanessa. It's her signature colour, as it's the colour of both her eyes and her tail.

6. Out of the stories you have written on Wattpad, which is the most memorable one?

A. Mine? Hmm…the one with characters who stay with me the most is Water and Fire, which I eventually turned into a novella and published in July 2013. The novella is much longer than the original short story on Wattpad – and, I must admit, a lot steamier, too.

7. Are you planning on publishing soon?

A. Yes – my sixth book, the first in the Mel Goes to Hell series, will be out by early March. Called Welcome to Hell, it was originally just a series of short stories on Wattpad, but it's grown into three books that will all be released in 2014. Melody Angel starts work for the HELL Corporation – a company staffed entirely by demons.

8. Which is your favorite book/series on Wattpad?

A. That's tough to answer. I fell in love with @jewel1307's Enchantress series when I first joined Wattpad and I'm particularly partial to @AngusEcrivain's Half-Light series, too. There are so many others I've enjoyed that it's hard to pick a favourite or even mention them all!