Free & Untorn...

Demi POV

It had been 5 months since I’d left Timberline Knolls Treatment Center and I was feeling stronger every day. I had openly spoken about my issues when I first got out and that helped me more than you know. Another thing that kept me grounded aside from my family was my lovatics. The unconditional love I felt from them was indescribable it was as though I could do no wrong in their eyes and that made it a whole lot easier to be open about the problems I was facing on a daily basis. I still struggle with my demons and I realized a long time ago that this wasn’t going to be an easy battle, it was going to take a long time and it was going to be incredibly hard but eventually I would win this war.

     I knew that for a fact. When I got out of treatment I felt free, like they had released me into this new world where I could do everything I wanted and more. I saw the world in a totally different light and that went for the people in it as well. I lost some friends which was inevitable but I wasn’t bitter about this although I was hurt deeply when the ones I felt were closest to me turned out to be the opposite.

     All that aside, I am now focusing on myself and most of all my music. Music is the one thing that keeps me sane when I feel like I’m losing all sense of reality. It’s a strong force that pulls me back to the ground and says ‘Demi get a grip’. I bet you think I sound crazy but something about writing down all your emotions with pen and paper and then putting it to music brings clarity. You see your mistakes, you see the hurt that you’ve felt, you see the pain you’ve caused others and most importantly you receive the closure you need in order to let go of those things which you would have held onto otherwise. It’s truly therapeutic.

    I am currently sitting in a board room with my manager, my mother and three label executives from Hollywood Records. The pressure is intense as I watch the execs stare stone faced at the wall while they listen to the last song on my 3rd Studio album and also the song which I personally feel is my single ‘Skyscraper’. It is a song about redemption from all the things that are wrong with your life and it’s also about knowing when you’ve gone too far and need to admit your wrong doings in order to be able to come out the other side standing strong and tall, like a skyscraper. I had recorded it before I went into treatment so as soon as I got out and talk started about an album I knew exactly what song I wanted to be my first single. So naturally I was feeling a little on edge watching the execs listen to something I held so dear and not showing any emotion, what can I say I’m an artist and I’m sensitive about my shit.

“So...” I started, “What do you think?” That was all I could manage as I didn’t want to leave them much room to judge or make it seem as though I wasn’t confident in my decision to make Skyscraper my single. My mom on the other hand had noticed how tense I was and was now holding onto my hand as I spoke.

One of the execs who sat directly opposite from me across the unnecessarily large table turned to face me, the other two also turned but faced the man whose name was Steve, they waited for him to begin to speak.

“It’s fantastic Demi! We really struck gold with this one. The emotion and the personal connection will really appeal to your fans and even the world.” He praised.

At that moment I let out a huge sigh of relief and relaxed.

“So happy you like it, this was the one song I was really gunning for.”

“And we can see why! It’s a masterpiece. So now all we have to do is set a release date for the single, any thoughts?”

“I was thinking sometime soon, maybe next month?” I replied.

“That could work, I was thinking along the same lines, July 12th maybe?”

“That’s great!” I beamed.