Critical...

DEMI POV

As I awoke, a feeling of anxiety and dread washed over me as the memories of last night flashed through my brain one at a time. I rushed for my phone.

No new messages.

I quickly dialled Nick’s number to make sure he was alright but it went straight to answer phone. I was beginning to panic as I dialled Joe’s number silently praying that he had found Nick. It rang twice then went straight to voicemail. Was he... I mean... he couldn’t be ignoring me? I pushed the thought to the back of my mind and tried again. This time it rang once and then went straight to voicemail. He is screening my calls, why the hell would he do that especially when he knows how worried I am. I glanced at my alarm clock; it read 7:00am.

“Shit.” I exclaimed as I flew off my bed. I had to be at rehearsal at 8am so I ignored the feeling of worry threatening to push me over the edge as I stepped into my bathroom to get ready.

Locked up tight, like I would never feel again

Stuck in some kind of love prison

And threw away the key oh, oh

Terrified until I stared into your eyes

Made me start to realise the possibilities so, so

I’m gonna love you like I’ve never been broken

I’m gonna say it like it’s never been spoken

Tonight, tonight I’m letting go, go, go, go

I’m gonna give it like it’s never been taken

I’m gonna fall like I don’t need saving

Tonight, tonight I’m letting go, go, go, go

I sang as passionately as I could without having to kill my voice. This was the one place on earth that I felt the most alive when I was on stage. Just my fans, the music and I. Nothing to worry about, there were no fears just instinct taking over.

“Alright, alright, that was great! Take a quick 5 minute break everybody. Demi, can I speak to you for a second?”

I made my way towards my tour manager. “What’s up Jared?”

“Is something bothering you?” I eyed him quizzically and frowned, he held his hands up in protest, “Don’t get me wrong, that performance was stellar but I’ve been working with you for the better part of a year now and I can tell when something is wrong.”

“I’m just a bit out of it today that’s all.” I half lied.

“Demi... you can talk to me, you know that right?”

I bit my lip. “I know, and trust me I’m fine just a bit tired that’s all.” I half lied once again and I could tell he wasn’t buying it but he didn’t push any further.

“Alright, so its 10:30am right now we’re going to run through Lightweight and then hopefully by the time that’s done Nick will be here and we can rehearse that section of the show.”  My heart hurt and my stomach fluttered at the sound of his name, the worry I had managed to successfully suppress had now made its way back to the surface.

“Ok, that sounds good to me.” I replied trying to sound as calm as I possibly could.

He squeezed my shoulder and I gave him a weak smile.

“Ok everyone break times over, back to work. Let’s run Lightweight from the top.” He yelled while I made my way back to the stage.

We’d just finished the final run through of Lightweight when the entrance doors opened and Nick walked through them. It felt like time slowed down as he made his way down the aisle. He didn’t lift his head up once as he made his way towards the stage and it wasn’t until he got closer that I understood why.