2

CHAPTER TWO

~ Three Years Later ~

9 years old

"Alright girls and boys, it's time for kunai target practice. Boys in one line in front of this target, and girls in a line in front of this one." Iruka sensei says and points to said area. Half of the class groans and the other half just does as instructed to do. I keep my face stoic and step in line toward the middle and wait my turn to throw my knives.

Finally, it was my turn. I step to the front of the line and look over next to me. Surprise surprise, it's Sasuke. He looks my way and offers me a small smile with soft black eyes to match, but I ignore it completely and begin throwing my kunai just as Sasuke does. Our knives hit at the exact same times, one by one, but mine are in a completely straight line inside of the the bullseye, whereas Sasuke's are scattered all around, but still in the center. I turn back to him, but he's already looking at me. He smiles again, but I simply glare. He flinches away and averts his eyes as quickly as possible. My face returns to its normal stoic mask as Iruka chuckles nervously at the new tension in the air.

'I cannot have bonds. I cannot have friends. I must love myself, and only myself, no one else. Bonds are a weakness. Friends are a weakness. Love is a weakness. They will only interfere with my revenge, my only purpose for living.' I think to myself with gritted teeth as I walk away from the crowd and go to lean up against the shaded fence.

From my left side, the boys left in the line all stare at me with hearts in their eyes, while from my right, Sasuke looks at me with sadness etched onto his childish features.

"I'll hit every target's bullseye just like (Y/n) and Sasuke, believe it!" The blonde yells. An Idiot that one is, but determined nonetheless, which I can somewhat in a way appreciate. I sigh heavily and retreat to the classroom to continue reading the assigned book just to be ahead of everyone else.

'I will excel. I will be the best at everything, all of the time. I will shine the brightest and out do everyone.' I think to myself as I flip open to the page I was reading last and allowed my eyes to scan over the words, taking them in and stowing them away into my memory for use in the future.

I'd sat at my desk for about an hour reading that book, and I was now much further ahead than the rest of the class. By now, all of the class was back in the room and doing the same thing I was doing, without Iruka giving the instruction to read the text. Such followers they are. But, it was now the end of the school day and it was time to go home. Before Iruka dismissed us, I'd placed my books in my desk to be ready to leave as soon as he'd said to.

"Alright, class dismissed." Iruka said. Before he'd even finished his sentence, I was walking down the stairs and out the doors, the other students hurrying to do the same. I let my arms hang freely at my side as I walked down the back road I took every day, and sure enough, the sound of Sasuke's footsteps echoed behind me, just like they do everyday, but today was different. Sasuke's footsteps were much faster than usual, like he's trying to catch up with me. I sigh silently as I feel his body coming closer to mine.

"Hey (Y/n)!" Sasuke says happily, panting slightly from his quick pace. I ignored him to the fullest extent and continue at my normal pace, face and eyes forward. I could tell without looking at him that he was frowning.

"You did great at practice today." Sasuke tried again, but still got no reply from me. I sigh again and place my hands in my pockets and keep my face forward, set on getting home, and without wasting my time talking to him. Sasuke went silent for a solid minute before he spoke to me again.

"I heard that Kiba was going to try and ask you out on a date, fat chance huh?" He said, a certain edge to his voice that caught my attention. This time, I actually turned my head a fraction of an inch to look at him. His eyes widen slightly at the fact that I'd actually acknowledged him this time around.

"Do you like him?" Sasuke asked suddenly. I let out a heavy breath as my shoulders slump a bit. I look back at him, and he's staring at me intently, a small fire in his obsidian eyes.

"Why do you care?" I ask monotonously and turn my face away from him once more, losing interest just as quickly as it had come. Sasuke gasps lightly and starts stuttering incoherently before actually forming a sentence.

"I don't! I mean - I do because you're my friend and-" He starts, but I quickly cut him off, not liking what he had said.

"I have no friends." I say through gritted teeth. Sasuke gasps lightly, but soon balls his small, pale fists and becomes slightly angry.

"Why are you so cold, so mean? I went through the exact same thing as you did, and I still don't act the way you do." Sasuke says with genuine sadness and angst dripping from his words. I feel guilty, but only momentarily before I force my mind to go blank, void of the feeling.

"Maybe you should. My family is dead, and I know the person who did it, and you think I'm going to do nothing about it? If you do, you're a damn fool." I seethe through gritted teeth once more. He's getting me to talk, and I hated that fact.

"You shouldn't say bad words like that." Sasuke points out, completely off subject, which causes me to grow even angrier at the situation at hand.

"Oh? And who exactly is going to stop me, reprimand me, scold me for my actions? My mother, or father? Or maybe my murderous big sister? Leave me alone Uchiha, friends are weaknesses, and I don't need those. I've got to surpass my sister in power in order to kill her." My whole body goes tense as I walk faster to get home quicker. I've talked to him for much too long. I feel like I'm showing a weakness, or maybe it's just when I'm with him, that he can see them, see right through me. He knows exactly what I'm feeling, or have ever felt, and it infuriated me.

"Why would you do that? She's the only family you've got left. That's why I decided to not go after Itachi. I mean, I was going to but I changed my-" Sasuke says as he walks faster to catch up with me, but as I get to the gates of my compound, I cut him off.

"She is no family to me, not anymore." I say and turn around to walk down the road that goes straight through the compound, leaving Sasuke standing there at the gates, eyes wide and filled with sympathy for me, and for himself, I would suppose.