12

CHAPTER TWELVE

"Hello again, (Y/n)." A familiar voice calls to me. I slowly open my eyes and blankly stare at the red head in front of me. On his face was a small smile, but it didn't reach his eyes. This boy was hurt, damaged severely.

"Gaara, Shukaku." I reply, greeting them both. Gaara's eyes flicker like they had the day I met him. He seems to relax as he sighs in what seems to be relief, before claiming the empty spot on the wall next to me.

"Why are you near me? I don't like people." I ask dryly, looking directly at the boy next to me, continuing to analyze him. He looks weak, no muscle mass, no scars, like he'd never battled or sparred a day in his life.

"You calm Shukaku. He says that your demon is an old friend. They seem to like each other, he's talking to her now." Gaara explains. My gaze snaps up from his body and attire to his face, which seems to be just as stoic as mine. It's obvious that this boy has been through a lot, but what jinchuriki hasn't?

"You can hear him?" I ask quickly, now averting my gaze forward to look at all of the people before me. The air is tense, very thick.

"Always. Can you hear yours?" Gaara replied after a few moments, turning his gaze to me. I keep my face forward and tilt my gaze to the ground, imagining what it would be like to have a demon keeping me up all hours of the day and night.

"Not unless she wants me to, I suppose." I reply, slightly grateful that Mother Darkness wasn't like the demon inside of Gaara. Rather than give me insomnia, she brought me back to life and gave me life advice that I tried to ignore.

"Oh, that's-" Gaara began, but Naruto and Sasuke burst through the doors. Sasuke looked angry, while Naruto's eyes were wide, looking at all of the competition. As soon as the tension in the air hit the two, they shivered, but Sasuke's eyes quickly scanned the crowd. When his eyes landed on me, a look of relief crossed his face, but then sheer anger replaced it when he seen Gaara. Sasuke came storming over, leaving Naruto. A white haired teen came up to Naruto instead, and began talking, as well as the rest of the Konoha genin.

"What in the hell are you doing next to her, (Y/n) why the hell are you allowing it?!?" Sasuke yells as soon as he gets close to us, glaring at Gaara, who completely ignored it. I sigh heavily and push myself off of the wall to glare at Sasuke for interrupting the peace.

"It's none of your business. He hasn't done anything to me, and I haven't seen him do anything to you." I reply harshly, but blandly. Sasuke's eyes go wide with surprise because I had just defended the sand ninja, but he quickly replaces it with anger.

"Yes he has!" Sasuke yells accusingly as he crosses his arms over his chest. I mimic his posture, placing my arms over my ribcage, and scowling at him.

"Like what?" I seethe, getting agitated at his childish antics. Gaara makes a sound, that is kind of like a chuckle, but it never finished. Sasuke panics momentarily as he tries to come up with something.

"He... he uh, it doesn't matter, he's a bad influence, let's go!" Sasuke yells once more. He quickly releases his arms from his chest and reaches out to grab one of mine. Once Sasuke had my wrist, he quickly pulled me away from Gaara, dragging me behind him, back to Naruto and the other Konoha genin.

"Sasuke, if you don't let me go, I'm going to knock you out." I say monotonously, but Sasuke seemed to ignore me completely. I one handedly cracked my knuckles and reared back, about to punch him in the back of the head, but the white haired boy cut in.

"Hey hey hey, no need for fighting. Your idiotic teammate has already made a bad impression on the regulars." He explains while pointing at Naruto. Sasuke turned around and seen my raised fist. His eyes widened but he never released my wrist. I look to the white haired boy who had a disgusting smile on his face. I already hated him.