6

CHAPTER SIX

~ The Next Day ~

"Alright, Naruto and Sasuke, you two finish pulling the weeds. (Y/n), get the list from the old woman, and I'll do the babysitting until you get back. After those are done, we've got one more." Kakashi explains. Sasuke and I nod in understanding, but Naruto groans in frustration.

"Are you serious?!? There's more?!? What the heck else is there to do?!?" Naruto yells, catching the attention of several of those walking past.

"We've got to retrieve Madam Shimji's cat, Tora." Kakashi explains. Naruto groans again, but my face lightens up slightly. I love cats. I suddenly hear a soft hum beside me, making my head snap to my right and my face almost flames red. Sasuke stares at me with adoration written on his expression. He'd seen me.

"Alright team, get to work." Kakashi instructs before walking off himself. I nod and get away from Sasuke as quickly as I could. This is gonna be very a long day.

~ Later That Long Day ~

"Naruto you dweeb!" Sasuke yells as Naruto dives over him and grabs Tora the cat himself. I silently gasp in fear for the cat, but it seems fine as it starts to maul Naruto in the face. That poor cat.

"What the hell!" Naruto yells as the cat continually scratches at him. The cat can probably sense Kurama and wants to get away. I sigh and walk up to Naruto and Tora and gently take the creature from Naruto. Upon being moved, the cat gets ready to attack again, but sees me and stops. I slowly lift my hand and allow the cat to smell my fingers before stroking the animal's soft fur. I ignore the rest of my team's stares and walk off to report to the Hokage.

"Whoa. That's the calmest I've ever seen (Y/n)! She looks so... so... not (Y/n)!" I hear Naruto yell. I turn around and glare momentarily before continuing. Sasuke, Kakashi, and Naruto trail behind me slowly, considering that I was already walking slowly to prolong my time with the cat. When we get to the Hokage's office, Madam Shimji squeals in excitement. The cat tenses in my arms and his claws dig into the fabric of my black shirt. The round woman runs up to me to take the cat, but I jerk away from her quickly.

"(Y/n) what are you doing? That's her cat, you've got to give it to her." Sasuke says. I glare at the woman, then at Sasuke, then back to the woman.

"Madam, you're mistreating your animal, and I refuse to return him until you learn to properly care for him. You've got to be gentle. If you do that, we won't have to keep doing this redundant, idiotic mission every time Tora escapes your meaty grasp." I sneer at the woman. Her eyes go wide and she gasps, but nods her head with a shameful look on her face.

I stroke the cats fur a few more times before reluctantly placing him in her arms. She strokes Tora gently, and Tora seems to relax. When I turn around, Naruto's and Sasuke's mouths are wide open, and Kakashi's eye is wide. Lord third stares at me in disbelief as I keep my expression stoic.

"Well then, mission successful. Now, as for your next mission-" Lord third starts, but Naruto groans loudly, stopping him.

"NO! No no no no, heck no old man! I'm tired of these baby missions. It's busy work! I want some action, I wanna go out into the field, life on the line, fighting battles! We are ninja after all!" Naruto says just as Iruka walks in. Iruka's eyes go wide and he fumes.

"Naruto! Shut up! How dare you-" Iruka starts, but Lord third raises a hand, stopping Iruka from scolding Naruto any further.

"No, it's alright Iruka. The child wants more responsibility. It'll be good for their character growth. Alright, team 7, I'm assigning you a C ranked mission. An escort mission." Third explains. Naruto beams with excitement and starts jumping up and down in place. I shake my head and look to the ground.