A Sickening Healing Process

A/N:
Released on February 13, 2017

Edited on September 9, 2018

Word Count: 1284

-----

Chapter 5: A Sickening Healing Process

The next day when Lena comes over at 5:00 p.m. she and Jerica rush around upstairs, prepping for the party. When Lucas hears them he suddenly realizes that he forgot to tell Mason about the party the other day.

"Really? We finally get to go out partying!" Mason exclaims when his brother tells him the news.

"Are you feeling okay enough to go? I thought you were sick since you've been holed up in your room for over a week now." Lucas questions with concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He reiterates with a shrug. "I've just been relaxing to make sure my legs heal correctly."

Lucas is secretly jealous of his twin because he seems to be showing no signs of pain. He seems carefree in his own little world and not at all worried. Because of that, Lucas decides not to tell him about what's going on with himself.

"It's at 7:30 p.m. Come downstairs then and I'll drive us over there." Lucas orders his younger brother, thinking of his car. 

He got a car a little over a year ago when his parents decided to disappear on "vacation" for months with minimal communication.

His parents call every couple weeks and send money once a month to cover the bills and grocery expenses, but other than that they don't hear from them.

It isn't the best situation but at least he doesn't have to worry too much about supporting his siblings.

Mason rolls his eyes. "Of course I'll be ready in time! Why do you always question me?" Lucas grins in reply and Mason can't help but crack a smile in return.

The twin brothers don't always agree, but what family does? Lucas and Mason are as close as they can be. Even though Mason thinks Lucas is bossy and Lucas thinks Mason is annoying.

"So who's party is it?" Mason asks, interrupting his brother's thoughts.

"Jerica said it's Ivie's party. Do you remember her?" He asks like he already knows who Ivie is but wants to know if Mason does. Really, he needs to know the answer because he still doesn't remember who Ivie is.

"Of course. Ivie is Lena's older sister." Mason answers, finally getting his forgetful brother to recall the girl. When Lucas does remember, he sees a girl with orange hair and blue eyes in his mind. Ivie looks like Lena because she has freckles too. She's a year older than Lena, but she's super shy and isn't seen going out very much.

He's heard from Jerica that Ivie only ever spends time with her two best friends, Vanessa and Selynn. He remembers them because they're the other pair of twins in the city Cain. They're a year younger than Lucas and Mason. Plus, they're the opposite of Ivie, super outgoing and friendly to everyone.

"You can go. I'm fine and I promise I won't be late." Mason says in a sincere way. Lucas can't tell if the words are actually true.

"I'll be downstairs if you need me." He offers hesitantly, hoping his brother will suddenly confess that he's been having a hard time too. But Mason only smiles wider and calls a thanks as he leaves.

As soon as Lucas exits the room, Mason's smile drops from his face. He swipes a hand across his forehead, glad that he's finally alone. He couldn't believe his attentive twin didn't ask more questions.

Mason doesn't know how much he will be keeping things from Lucas or for how long. He just hopes that he'll be fine at the party. He recalls how he hasn't been able to eat much food lately, and yesterday he couldn't stomach any food at all.

He speculates that he's felt sick because his leg's been healing. Every day of this week his legs have been looking better, until yesterday he only had thin scars.

He didn't tell his brother because he looked way better than Mason feels. He didn't want to worry him if Lucas is doing okay.

Today he's felt a little better. Maybe it's because his leg is almost done healing. He rolls his pants up to his knees to reveal smooth, unblemished skin.

With a confused sigh, Mason turns away from his completely healed legs and starts getting ready for the party.

~*~

Ivie stands in her bedroom, which just happens to be the attic. And yes, she chose that as her bedroom. She likes the illusion that she's secluded, away from everyone. It's nice and quiet.

Her mom walks in just then without knocking before coming in. Ivie spins around to face her mother with a choked gasp.

"Mom! Can't you knock?" Her voice is high pitched with fright. She immediately puts a hand over her mouth when she realizes what she said.

"Sorry!" She practically squeaks. She usually tries hard to respect people.

"Sorry, honey! I was just so excited!" Ivie's mom, Mrs. Sterling, says this with a laugh.

Mr. Sterling enters the room next to his wife, where she stands in front of the doorway.

"Hey, Ivie! How does it feel to be seventeen?" Mr. Sterling asks her jokingly.

"Dad! I answered you this morning when you asked that same question. I said I don't feel any different." She tells her father, trying hard not to show her irritation.

"Oh yes, I remember." He responds, even though it's painfully obvious that he doesn't remember.

Mrs. Sterling turns to her husband and sets her hand on his shoulder lightly like she's trying to reassure him. "Hun, could you give us a minute alone?"

"Yeah, sure!" Mr. Sterling nods enthusiastically. On the way out he winks at Ivie. She smiles back at him.

"Now I just wanted to give you some tips on boys." Mrs. Sterling announces.

"Mom!" Ivie squeals in embarrassment. She doesn't even care about respect at the moment.

"What? You obviously need some help since you only hang out with Vanessa and Selynn." Mrs. Sterling says this like it's a fact. "I know you like that boy, Mason. I can help you get him!" She offers.

Ivie sighs in exasperation and replies, "I don't need to get him, Mom."

"Why not? I'd like some grandchildren to dote over sometime soon!" Mrs. Sterling looks genuinely confused.

Ivie is shocked by her mom's words. "Mom, I just turned seventeen years old!" She looks appalled at her mom.

"Yes, so next year you'll be eighteen. At eighteen you're an adult, which is old enough to responsibly have kids! With your mother's help of course." She adds the last part as an afterthought.

Ivie suddenly gets angry and snaps. "I'm sorry but I can't talk about this right now!" She lies, not sorry at all. "Vanessa and Selynn will be here any minute."

"Oh, that's sweet! Your best friends are coming to help you get ready!" Mrs. Sterling has a hand over her heart in a show of affection.

"Yep! And we'd like to be alone." Ivie announces, flinching at how rude she sounded. But she doesn't take it back.

Her mother casts her eyes down to the wooden floor and sighs loudly. "Okay. I'll just go now..."

"Mom..." Ivie is completely exasperated now because she knows her mom just wants attention. "Ugh! Come here."

She enfolds her mom in a hug, cheering her up instantly. "You know I love you, right?" Ivie questions in endearment.

Mrs. Sterling nods and releases her. "Of course I do, honey! I love you too." Then she leaves her daughter alone in her room.

Vanessa and Selynn arrive in their car that they got from their parents for their sixteenth birthday, engaging in an unusual conversation while getting ready for Ivie's birthday party.