The Newest Ability

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Date 3-19-17

Sorry for not publishing anything yesterday.

I decided to rewrite this chapter today and it ended up being longer than usual.

And just in case you couldn't see the full quote up top, it says:

"It's hard to sleep at night when there's so many thoughts going through your head."

That's perfect for what's going on with Lucas right now :(

Now on to the story!

----------------------------

Chapter 57: The Newest Ability

Lucas takes a step into Mason's hospital room, which looks the same as Lucas' room.

Mason is hooked up to a machine like Lucas had been when he woke up. But Mason isn't awake.

Mason's eyes are closed and his only movement is his chest rising and falling with each breath.

Lucas sighs and runs his hands through his brown hair. Lucas immediately drops his hand when he realizes Mason can't move.

Mason's face is devoid of color, paler than the white bedsheets surrounding him.

Lucas looks around at the room, anything to take his mind off of Mason.

Lucas feels his heart breaking at the thought of never talking to Mason again. Could Lucas even live without his twin brother?

That thought causes Lucas to stumble out of the room, running into someone on the way out.

Lucas' gaze shoots to the face of the person. He immediately apologizes. "Sorry, I-"

But Lucas stops when he sees the girl's eyes flash red. Another Alpha werewolf?

Her eyes are back to normal before Lucas can blink, and he knows he looks stupid staring at her in confusion.

Did Lucas imagine the red eyes? Is he hallucinating because of the attack? Is this some kind of trauma after effects?

"Shouldn't you be in bed?" She asks with concern. Lucas thinks the question is bizarre until he sees the the girl, or more accurately woman, is wearing a nurse uniform.

"Uh, no. I just... I'm visiting family." Lucas lies so terribly that there's no way anyone would believe him.

Besides the horrible lying, the bandage on his neck and ripped clothing indicates that Lucas isn't just visiting.

"Really?" The nurse asks without emotion. What is she playing at?

"Uh huh." Lucas answers.

"Which patient are you visiting?" She asks as she looks at the clipboard that Lucas hadn't noticed she's holding.

"Um, Mason Hallow." Lucas replies, truthfully this time.

"That's this room." The nurse says, taking a step towards Mason's room. "The one you just came out of." She adds, staring at Lucas with an incomprehensible look.

"Right." Lucas says.

"So you must be Lucas Hallow." The nurse says, consulting her chart briefly.

"I'm, no..." Lucas tries to say, but the nurse interrupts him.

"You're supposed to be in your room. You're not well enough to be out of bed." She says sternly.

Lucas takes a step back, considering fleeing, but she grabs his arm. Her grip is surprisingly strong.