Confrontation

Date: 2-18-17

Chapter 18: Confrontation

Lena and Jerica walk to Jerica's house, only a couple of blocks away. Jerica uses her key to get in the house, then they walk in to find Lucas sitting in the kitchen with a bowl of cereal, even though it's almost 2 pm.

Lucas stops with a spoon halfway to his mouth. He sets it back in the bowl with a tentative smile. Lucas can feel something's wrong.

Lena is suddenly nervous, staring at Lucas looking so normal but imagining him turning into a wolf. Has he been doing that every night? Or just on the full moon? Lena glances away, trying to act fine.

"Hey. What's up?" Lucas forcefully spreads his smile wider to ease the tension filling the room. He doesn't think it's working. Jerica drops her backpack on the ground with a thunk. Lucas can't help but flinch at that. He's wound up too much to be relaxed in the slightest.

"What's up?" Jerica asks mockingly. Lucas' smile drops immediately. He knows this isn't going to be good.

"Jerica-" Lena tries to interject, but Jerica only waves her hand dismissively. This makes Lucas angry, but he focuses and reigns in the rage.

"One success down, a million to go." Lucas thinks bitterly to himself. At least he's not losing control.

"What's up is that you've been lying to me, your sister!" Lucas chances a glance at Lena, but she's not saying anything. Either they know something or they know everything. Well, shoot.

Lucas opens his mouth, even though he has no clue what will come out. But Jerica holds up a hand to stop him and he frowns at her. "You know what, I don't want to do this." Jerica says suddenly. Lucas sees Lena relax a bit, and Lucas does the same.

"Not without Mason." Jerica finishes sharply. Lucas and Lena tense up at the same time. Lena opens her mouth to say something, but Lucas jumps in first.

"No, Mason's asleep and you shouldn't-" Lucas tries to say.

"MASON!" Jerica yells towards Mason's bedroom. Lena flinches and wonders why Jerica has to dramatize everything, although Mason is a part of this if they're theory is correct.

Lucas hears Mason jump out of bed and rush out of his room, heart pounding thinking Jerica's in danger. Lucas can practically feel Mason's eyes burn from here. Lucas turns to look at the floor as his eyes do the same in response.

Lucas mumbles, "Chill Mason," so quietly that only Mason will hear. And Lucas knows Mason will hear because his senses are heightened right now because he thinks there's danger.

Mason still runs out into the kitchen looking alert and worried, but his eyes aren't glowing gold. He looks around the kitchen confused.

"What is it?" Mason asks, directing the question to Jerica.

"I know you're a werewolf." Jerica replies, knowing Mason's more likely to spill if he's surprised. And she's right.

"Um...I..." Mason looks panicked from face to face. Lucas just close his eyes and breathes in deeply.

"Exactly!" Jerica throws her hands in the air. "I knew you've been hiding things from me! You two are werewolves!"

Lucas sees Mason standing frozen, obviously flabbergasted. Lucas decides to speak up. "Jerica, look, we didn't even-"

But Lucas stops talking when Jerica stalks to the living room and sits on the couch. Lucas realizes that he'll have to talk to her eventually, so he abandons his breakfast and follows Jerica. Lucas stands a few feet away from her, then continues on with what he was saying.

"We didn't know until yesterday, okay? I told Mason not to tell you until I figured a few things out. It's my fault, not his." Lucas takes the blame because he knows Jerica already doesn't like him. Better him than Mason.

"No, it's yours and Mason's fault." As Jerica says this, Mason slowly shuffles into the living room.

Mason still doesn't speak up. Lucas almost says, "We were going to tell you." But that would make this worse.

Instead, Lucas tries another tactic. "I'm sorry Jerica. We shouldn't have lied to you." Jerica nods once to let him know she's listening. It's funny because Lucas just lied to her again. He isn't sorry, it's his own business if he's human or not.

"Now you know what's going on." Lucas eventually says, not wanting to say something wrong. When Mason gives him a sharp look, Lucas remembers they haven't told her everything. They didn't tell Jerica about Adrian. But does it matter? From the look Mason is giving Lucas, he supposes it does.

Lucas is dully surprised that Mason didn't jump up, pointing at Lucas and yelling, "Liar, liar! Pants on fire!" Honestly, if they were both a few years younger, Mason might've done just that.

"Wait, I just remembered we left out something else." Lucas says as he shoots a glare at Mason. It means, "It's your turn to do the talking." Lena comes in and sits near Jerica, apparently deeming it safe to come in now.

So Mason tells Jerica everything they know about Adrian, which isn't a lot.

"There's another werewolf? That's awesome! You'll be able to learn cool tricks and stuff from him!" Jerica sounds pleased by everything she's learned.

Lucas shrugs and says, "If he ever shows up again." Jerica frowns at Lucas.

"What? I'm just telling the truth." Lucas defends himself.

"Speaking of the truth..." Jerica muses aloud to everyone. "I think it's time to tell Ivie."

"No!" Lena jumps up with a shout. "She doesn't know anything so we don't need drag her into this." Lena argues her case. Lucas wonders if she's lying to protect Ivie.

"Oh come on! If we confront her she might spill and confess she's lying about not knowing!" Jerica exclaims, which makes Lena angry.

"I don't think Ivie is lying." Lena says with a set jaw. "And unless we find a reasonable explanation for why we should involve Ivie, then we will not tell her." Lena sounds determined, and stronger than ever as she protects her sister and stands up to Jerica. Lucas smiles at her proudly.

"Fine! But remember if she's been lying, I warned you!" Jerica says while throwing up her hands in exasperation.

Lucas is amazed at how easily Jerica gave up once Lena said something. Lucas realizes that Lena is even more great than he thought before.

Lucas decides that he's not going to just hang out with Lena as friends anymore. Lucas wants more than that.