Unwanted Savior

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Date 3-17-17

Sorry about that super sad chapter. It broke my heart too, but there's a reason for it, I promise.

Now here's an extra long chapter to make up for it!

---------------------------------------

Chapter 55: Unwanted Savior

The pain releases Lucas and he's not sure if that means he's dying or if Adrian just left him alone, so he'll die anyway.

Lucas hears noise above him as he gets a floating sensation throughout his body. If this is dying, it's peaceful. Lucas can't think anymore than that, so he just listens.

"Leave them alone!" Someone yells and there's a thump.

Lucas mentally laughs at himself. He's imagining someone saving him. Why can't his mind just give up already?

"Why are you trying to kill them? They're your Betas." The voice says again. It kind of sounds familiar.

The voice in his mind comes again. "I never wanted them. It was a mistake."

Lucas knows he should be mad, but he doesn't feel anything anymore. It's like he's floating away... But the sound of a fight pulls him back.

Lucas only hears fragments of sound. A growl from a person. A growl from a wolf. Lucas doesn't understand how he can tell the difference, but he doesn't care.

Suddenly Lucas is back in his body, pain flooding into him, which somehow turned back into human form.

Lucas feels someone turn him onto his back. A chocked sound comes out of Lucas' mouth. Why can't they just leave him alone?

"Lucas!" The familiar voice yells. Lucas manages to open his eyes the tiniest bit, just a slit to see out of. Adrian's face swarms his vision.

Lucas makes another indefinable noise, wanting to get away. Adrian killed Mason, then he killed Lucas, mostly. Lucas knows he's dying.

"Lucas!" Adrian says again, although Lucas can no longer see him. His vision is filled with black again.

Lucas feels liquid on his mouth, and a hand on his chin, forcing him to drink whatever it is. It goes down easily, soothing his burning throat. As soon as the liquid is down, Lucas is in pain again.

Why is Adrian trying to wake Lucas when he's the one who attacked them? Lucas can barely grasp on to his thoughts.

"Lucas!" Adrian yells and flashes his red eyes, causing Lucas' eyes to snap open and shine gold.

Lucas' pain goes away for a split second as he meets Adrian's eyes. Then everything comes crashing down and Lucas tries to squirm away. Adrian did this.

"Good. You're awake. Come on. I'm getting you help." Adrian tells Lucas. Lucas is suddenly pulled up to standing, but Lucas can't stand on his own. So Adrian puts an arm around his shoulders to keep him up.

Lucas can only grunt in pain, even though his whole body is being smothered in agony.

Lucas wonders what will happen to Mason. Then there's wind on Lucas' face and he can't stay awake any longer.

~*~

Lena stares down in shock at the hole in the ground. She can't look as someone shovels dirt onto the person in the ground. Lena doesn't even know the person next to her with the shovel. But she doesn't care. Adrian said it was someone he works with.