New Identity

Date: 2-24-17

Chapter 29: New Identity

"You're a rare supernatural." Adrian says, putting finger quotes around "rare."

"And what's that?" Lena says. The words may sound like they'd be mean, but Lena doesn't say them that way.

"An elemental angel." Adrian says dramatically.

Lucas frowns at Adrian, thinking he's got to be joking.

"I'm serious." Adrian says, still grinning maniacally so it's hard to take him seriously.

"Okay, what's that?" Lucas asks when no one speaks up. Lucas decides to hold Lena's hand to show he's supporting her. Who knows what she's feeling right now?

"Well, there are different types of elementals. An elemental angel is one of those, but the specific powers they have vary, so I don't know what magic you'll have." Adrian says very vaguely, which just confuses Lena further.

The only reason she isn't feeling as anxious is because the warmth from Lucas' hand is calming her. Lucas squeezes her hand reassuringly. Lena spares a glance at Lucas, wondering if he could explain this better.

Adrian notices Lena looking to Lucas, so he jumps back into his explanation. "An elemental angel's powers are extraordinary. You could possibly control wind, electricity, and use levitation. That's if you learn."

"Will I grow wings?" Lena asks, immediately feeling stupid. But why wouldn't she think of wings? Angels have wings.

"No." Adrian answers tartly.

Lena lets that sink in for a moment. Then it dawns on Lena. Jerica can use electricity. It hurts Lena to think of Jerica, but she's sure that Jerica will be happy to hear all of this. So Lena will tell her today.

"Jerica can shock people." Lena blurts out, hoping saying it out loud will make herself understand. It's a lot to take in.

"She's already taking to her powers then." Adrian comments thoughtfully.

"How do I do that? How can I trigger my powers?" Lena asks curiously. She's nervous, but wants to learn everything she can.

"Lucas can help you." Adrian says with a smirk.

"I can?" Lucas questions.

"If you trigger your own supernatural abilities, it might trigger hers." Adrian replies.

"So you can do it too?" Lucas asks because Adrian is more developed in his werewolf senses.

"I could, but I have other things to do. I'm a very busy man." Adrian grins smugly.

"Okay, so how do I do this?" Lucas asks Adrian. "I don't have magic."

"But you do. Inside of you. Not the same magic, but it's magic all the same." Adrian says with a shrug. "You just bring out the primal part of yourself."

Lucas gives Adrian a confused look. Adrian sighs and says, "Make your eyes glow and claws come out. You don't have your teeth yet, but you will on the next full moon."

Lucas is shocked. "You mean fangs?"

"Duh. You're a wolf." Adrian responds condescendingly.

Lucas ignores that comment, willing his cheeks not to become red with a blush. "Do I have to attack her?" Lucas asks, flicking his gaze nervously to Lena.

Lena shifts her feet uncomfortably.

"No, of course not. Just do what I said." Adrian scoffs. "I'll help for a minute, but then I have to go."

Lucas is just wondering how to get in touch with Adrian after he leaves when Adrian speaks up again. "But I'll be back later."

Adrian gives Lucas a pointed look. Lucas senses that Adrian's trying to convey that he wants to speak with Lucas alone.

"Go! Do what I said!" Adrian suddenly barks out the order.

Lucas quickly closes his eyes, concentrating on pulling in the part of him that he's been shoving down. With a growl, Lucas feels his eyes burn underneath his closed eyelids.

Lucas opens his now golden eyes and with a growl, releases his claws. Lena doesn't flinch, but moves her feet to shoulder width apart. Lena's standing her ground.

"It's working." Adrian mumbles and puts his hand under his chin thoughtfully as his eyes flash red.

Lena is secretly terrified, but she stands determinedly. She feels a sort of strange weightlessness. Lena glances down at her feet but sees them firmly on the ground.

Lucas' eyes turn back to their normal brown as he feels the raging beast inside him slip away.

"It didn't work." Lena argues. Besides the feeling, nothing happened to Lena.

"Actually, it did. Because I'm a genius." Adrian replies smugly.

"I didn't see anything." Lena says with her arms crossed. Lena's tone isn't very angry sounding, but Lucas can feel that if anything worse else happens she might snap.

"Exactly!" Adrian says happily.

Lena frowns in confusion while Lucas stares at Lena in wonder. She doesn't notice yet.

"But Lucas did. Didn't you, Lucas?" Adrian says victoriously. He's very proud of himself.

Lena stares over at Lucas and sees the look he's giving her. "What is it?" she asks Lucas.

"In not sure, but you kind of... glowed." Lucas replies hesitantly.

"I'm glowing?" Lena asks in disbelief.

"Not anymore." Adrian shrugs before continuing. "I was right! And because of that you've activated your magic. If you practice, you'll be able to levitate. That's what the glowing meant." Adrian says in a know-it-all tone.

"Why couldn't I see it?" Lena narrows her eyes at Adrian in frustration.

Lucas knows the answer, so he jumps in to tell Lena. "Only glowing werewolf eyes can see it." Adrian nods once in grudging agreement.

"So now we know that your main power will be levitation, since it showed its face first." Adrian comments.

"You can learn electricity from Jerica." Adrian adds.

Lena noticed the look Adrian have Lucas earlier when he said he'd be back to talk. Lena knows that Adrian needs to talk to Lucas alone, and if it's important or involving her, then Lucas will tell her. So Lena decides to leave them alone now.

"Okay. I'll go talk to Jerica." Lena is terrified that her best friend won't forgive her, but Lena has to try. She leaves Adrian and Lucas in the backyard and she heads into the house to speak with Jerica.

"You're welcome." Adrian says as soon as Lena is out of hearing distance.

"For what?" Lucas questions as he watches the spot where Lena turned the corner.

"I saved your werewolf butt, once again." Adrian smiles wickedly. "You know, when I told her you already knew."

Adrian takes a step closer to Lucas, getting awfully close to his personal space bubble. And unless your name is Lena, you're not allowed in that area.

"Because I know you forgot to ask about her. It would've seemed like you only cared about getting answers for yourself." Adrian finishes in a dramatic whisper, leaning right into the edge of Lucas' personal space bubble.

"What about it?" Lucas growls out. He can sense that Adrian has a point here. Something bigger is going on.

Adrian leans back and crosses his arms. "I did you a solid. So...?" Adrian is hinting at something, wanting Lucas to say something significant.

"I owe you." Lucas says begrudgingly with a sinking feeling in his stomach. This can't be good.