The Day After: Realizations

Date: 2-18-17

Chapter 17: The Day After Realizations

Lucas and Mason have a lot of explaining to do that night when they arrive at Lena's house to drop of Ivie, who still isn't awake.

Lucas takes the lead on story telling, leaving out the parts about werewolves, which includes Adrian. Lucas still doesn't want anyone to know about what's really going on.

Lucas tells Lena that he'll talk to her tomorrow, then he and Mason walk home. Luckily no one saw them carrying a body around, and no one notices them going home covered in blood and dirt.

~*~

Lena invites Jerica over around 11 am the next day. When she finishes telling Jerica what Lucas told her, Lena decides to ask Jerica the big question.

"Jerica, do you know what's going on with Lucas and Mason?" Jerica frowns and doesn't hesitate before answering, so Lena believes what she says.

"I wish. They've been so weird lately but they won't tell me. Not even Mason. He's been sick, as you know, but he's better now. So I don't know what it is." Jerica concludes. Lena can tell that Jerica is upset that her others aren't confiding in her.

"Well, I may know something that could help us." Lena says, then goes on to explain what he meant. Lena tells Jerica everything she heard outside the club yesterday.

Jerica sits silently for a minute, thinking everything through. "So you're telling me that they're turning into something with weird eyes after they got bit by a wolf? So they're-"

"Werewolves." Jerica and Lena say at the same time.

~*~

Lucas wakes up late again that day, finding himself very grateful that it's summer break. Lucas is already having a hard time with all of this, so adding school to the mix wouldn't be good.

Lucas now has a time limit on when he needs to figure all of this out. It's May right now and he has until August. Lucas tries not to think about what will happen if he can't figure this out before then.

And what about controlling his new found rage? How will Lucas play football this year like always if he can't control himself? So Lucas has to learn to control his anger before then.

Lucas finds himself wondering about the new guy Adrian. Will he be staying in town? Will he show up mysteriously again if Lucas gets into trouble tonight?

Lucas should probably stay away from the woods. But Lucas remembers the strong pull he felt towards the woods and knows he can't skip out on that.

Lucas decides to test his super hearing. He listens closely and hears Mason breathing in his room. Lucas knows Mason's still sleeping because his breathing is even and he isn't moving. Lucas can't hear anyone else in the house.

Lucas glances at the alarm clock sitting on the dresser by his bed. It's already 1:30 pm. Lucas checks his phone but there's no messages. Lucas texts Jerica asking where she is. When she answers Lucas isn't surprised in the least. She's over at Lena's house.

But that means Lena must've told Jerica what happened last night. Well, the edited version Lucas told them.

~*~

Lena's door is cracked open while she talks to Jerica about what to do with Ivie. "You need to tell her what she did, then lock her away somewhere." Jerica says without empathy.

"What? No! I'm not going to do that to her!" Lena exclaims in horror. Sometimes Lena just doesn't understand Jerica.

"Do what to who?" Ivie says from the open doorway. Lena gasps and Jerica quickly looks away.

"Ivie! Are you going to make lunch? I was actually about to." Lena kind of trails off and Ivie crosses her arms in a defensive posture.

"No, I was just going the bathroom when I heard you talking." Ivie says. "I didn't know Jerica's here."

"Well now you do." Jerica responds angrily.

Ivie just rolls her eyes at Jerica. "Anyway, why are you acting weird today Lena?"

Lena shrugs and looks anywhere but directly at Ivie. "I just didn't get enough sleep."

"Fine. I'll just go then." Ivie says tartly, making it obvious that she doesn't believe Lena. Then Ivie turns and walks away without another word.

"Did you notice something different about her?" Jerica asks Lena curiously.

"I can't hear another one of your Ivie jokes right now. Okay Jerica?" Lena says in exasperation.

Jerica holds up her hands in surrender. "I'm being serious! There's something off about her, besides the whole crazy night vine girl thing." Jerica explains.

"So what is it?" Lena questions.

Jerica silently thinks to herself. "Her personality!" Jerica says triumphantly. "She's no longer playing the innocent girl act."

Lena puts a hand to her forehead and says, "I told you that's not an act. But I see your point. She's not nervous anymore." Lena frowns at this realization. What exactly is happening with Ivie?

"Exactly!" Jerica says a little too loudly. Lena shushes her so Ivie won't hear. Then Lena goes back to thinking what's different about Ivie.

"And if she did overhear us, she wouldn't have come in. Ivie should've pretended that she never heard, no matter what were talking about." Lena muses.

Jerica leans forward to dramatize her next statement. "Maybe she's starting an evil plan and she actually remembers her nightly adventures but she's waiting to get the drop on us!"

Lena shakes her head, not at all amused. "That's ridiculous, Jerica!"

Jerica just shrugs at Lena, not fazed. "It could happen."

"Lucas and Mason could eat you in your sleep but I don't think that'll happen." Lena argues back.

Jerica scowls and stands up, leaving Lena sitting on her bed alone. Jerica puts her hands on her hips and pretends to be mad, but Lena knows she's not.

"Mock me all you want! But if-" Lena interrupts Jerica's rant. She's heard many versions of it over the years that they've been best friends.

"Oh, I will! Now let's go get help from your werewolf brothers!" Lena announces while standing up next to Jerica.

"Aren't you furious with them for lying to us? They didn't tell us they're werewolves!" Jerica exclaims in a disbelieving tone, like she thinks Lena is crazy for not bing mad.

Lena thinks it over and she understands why Lucas would keep this from her. He's been going through a hard time. It's not like Lucas has any obligations towards her. They're not dating, even though Lena kind of wants to be. Lena will let Lucas explain, then decide if she's mad.

"It's a lot to take in. Maybe they're just now getting it." Lena explains away.

Jerica just scowls and stalks toward the door. "Come on softy! We have to go confront Lucas and Mason."