Hopeless Ones Who Fight On

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Date 3-17-17

This chapter reminds me of the song "Wolf Bite" by Owl City. Obviously :P

The picture above is the lyrics to that song :)

And yes, this chapter made me really sad. You'll understand once you read it.

Try not to hate me for this chapter... *cringe*

Get on with the story now!

-------------------------------------

Chapter 54: Hopeless Ones Who Fight On

Lucas growls dangerously at Adrian. Lucas is so angry that he could tear Adrian apart right now. But Adrian in his wolf form attacks first.

Lucas doesn't see the details of the wolf besides its eyes, and Lucas doesn't really care. The wolf, Adrian, slams Lucas into the ground with the force of its brute strength. How is Lucas supposed to go up against an Alpha?

Lucas knows that even if Mason helps, they can't overpower an Alpha. But they can sure try, even if it is hopeless.

Then something Lucas never thought would happen, never, actually happens. Mason attacks Adrian the wolf, knocking him off of Lucas.

Lucas takes a big choking breath and leaps to his feet in a crouch.

Mason has always ran when he's scared. Even when they got bit, Mason ran, leaving Lucas to face the wolf alone. But Mason didn't run this time.

Mason and the wolf are rolling on the ground from the momentum of Mason's attack. Mason hasn't shifted, but is clawing at Adrian.

Adrian the wolf bites down on Mason's arm just as Lucas jumps forward to help. Mason yells in pain and Adrian kicks him back with his wolf paws.

Mason flies into Lucas, knocking them both to the ground. Lucas and Mason roll a few times before separating and jumping back up.

Lucas is about to attack when he feels a weird pull in his side, like a muscle spasm. Lucas yells and stumbles back when his heart clenches.

Adrian throws his head back in a howl that is probably meant to be a laugh.

Lucas falls to the ground right next to Mason. Lucas hadn't even realized that Mason didn't get up.

Mason is curled up in a ball, clutching at his heart above his chest. He's not yelling in pain, but he doesn't look comfortable either as his body tries to shift into a wolf.

Lucas scrambles backwards so his back is against a tree as he breathes in gasps. Lucas can feel something shifting inside of him.

Adrian speaks in his mind again. His voice isn't the same, but Lucas doesn't think the voice has a voice in his head. Meaning the voice is just thoughts, no sound.

"You can't fight on your first shift into a werewolf. Your body won't let you stop once it's started."

Lucas scowls at Adrian the wolf, but can't manage a growl because his breathing is too erratic.

He comes closer slowly, tauntingly. Practically begging Lucas to dare to attack. His red eyes bore into Lucas' golden ones.

"Now I get to kill you." The voice/thought says in Lucas' mind. Mason sits up with a growl and attacks Adrian, making Lucas believe that Mason hears the mind voice too.