The Mysterious Brownie

Date: 2-26-17

Chapter 34: The Mysterious Brownie

Lucas gets a text on the way back to his house. It's Mason saying Jerica is at home.

Lucas rushed home and found Jerica sitting on the couch wrapped in a blanket. Underneath she's wearing a short red dress and Lucas immediately frowns at her.

Jerica grins sloppily at Lucas. He sees a pair of 6 inch black high heels on the ground and carefully steps over them so he doesn't trip on them.

Lena is sitting on the couch next to Jerica, but Mason is nowhere to be seen.

Lucas sits in the armchair next to Lena. "What happened Jerica?" Lucas asks sharply.

"I went out, what do you think dimwit?" Jerica replies snappily, rubbing at her head. She's obviously starting to sober up.

Lena turns to Lucas to answer his question. "She told me what happened."

"Jerica swears she had nothing but fruit punch to drink. She claims someone drugged her." Lena explains, unsure if it's true.

"That's right! And I'll find out who did this and-" Jerica starts but Lucas stops her.

"Okay. Since this is the first time this has happened, I guess I believe you." Lucas says fairly, since Jerica seems to be speaking truthfully.

"Thanks." Jerica says in a tone that sounds half sarcastic and half sincere. How does Jerica even do that?

Mason walks into the room from the direction of his bedroom down the hall. "Hey guys! How's Jerica doing?" Mason is grinning widely, even though this is not really a happy situation.

Mason is walking around to the couch, not paying attention to his feet. Mason trips on the high heels and stumbles, just barely catching himself. Mason's cheeks immediately heat up in embarrassment.

Jerica bursts out laughing and snorting. Lena tries really hard to be nice, but her mouth moves up in a humorous smile. Lena turns her head so Mason won't see.

Lucas stops himself from laughing by thinking about how angry he is at Jerica for doing something stupid. That works, but then Lucas has to struggle to keep his eyes brown and not glowing.

Mason straightens up, clearing his throat. Everyone sits in silence, then Jerica starts laughing again. Lucas sends her a glare at the same time Lena does.

Lena decides to pick up the conversation from where it left off, answering Mason's question. "She's fine. Just has a headache."

"More like a migraine!" Jerica shouts angrily, flinching at the noise she's made.

Lucas suddenly remembers something very important. "Jerica, you told us on the phone that you saw John. Did you talk to him?" Lucas holds his breath while waiting.

"Yeah..." Jerica says, staring off trying to remember. "I did."

"Did you say anything about us?" Lucas asks nervously, running his hand through his hair. Lena notices that Lucas' hair is windblown from his run over here. She smiles at Lucas, and he sees it immediately.

Lucas sends a small grin to Lena before focusing on Jerica again. He's leaning forward in his chair with his elbows on his knees.

Jerica gives Lucas a confused look before realization lights up her face. "Oh, about werewolves? No, he kept asking about what's going on but even drunk I wouldn't tell." Jerica smiles, very proud of herself.

Lucas lets out the breath he's been holding and relaxes a bit. That's one less thing to worry about.

"I think I fell asleep on him. Cuz next thing I know, I'm in his car and he's telling me that I'm home." Jerica says, looking slightly embarrassed. Good for her.

Lucas glances out the window and sees the sun setting. He sighs and Lena follows his gaze. She can guess what he's thinking. Lucas must be really worried about Ivie, aka vine girl.

Lena wonders when they're going to tell Ivie, since it is her life. "Lucas." Lena says, jerking him from his thoughts.

"Yeah?" Lucas answers, turning to Lena.

"When are we telling Ivie about all of this? She has a right to know." Lena's met with blank stares. They don't want to tell.

"Ivie's suspicious and says I'm acting weird. Which I am. I'm lying to her face and feel terrible about it." Lena concludes a bit desperately. She wants them to understand her need to tell Ivie.

"Would we be telling her everything?" Lucas asks cautiously.

"Yes. We have to so she'll understand the danger she's putting people in. And how we can help her, since we're not normal either.

"Did you find out what we are?" Jerica suddenly asks, curious about what she is.

"Yes. But I need to get Ivie over here first. We're telling her tonight." Lena says firmly. No one disagrees, but Jerica frowns in disapproval.

Lena talks to Ivie on the phone and finds out that Ivie is over at Vanessa and Selynn's house again.

~*~

At Vanessa and Selynn Delaney's house, Ivie is walking into Vanessa's room from the kitchen. Since they have a three story house, Vanessa and Selynn get their own bedrooms.

"Hey." Ivie says to announce her presence to her best friends. They're sitting on Vanessa's bed listening to music. Ivie is holding a tupperware container filled with brownies.

They perked up even more at the sight of the sugary junk food. "Brownies!" Vanessa exclaims with pure joy.

"You're mom gave these to me for us to eat." Ivie says with a grin.

Ivie's grin fades as she picks up a zip lock baggie with a single brownie in it. "But your mom said you have to have this one, Selynn. She said it has your medicine in it." Ivie is confused because she didn't know that Selynn has to take medicine.

Selynn blushes and takes the brownie. "Yeah, she makes me take pills for anger management and mixes it in my food so I'll eat it."

Vanessa looks away uncomfortably because she knew about it and didn't tell Ivie.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Ivie asks, hurt that one of her best friend would keep this from her.

Selynn shrugs. "It's embarrassing. I've never had any problems with anger, but she made me start taking the pills a couple of months ago."

Ivie nods her understanding.

"You know our mom," Vanessa says casually, "She gets set in her ways."

"Just like some girls I know." Ivie says jokingly. They laugh and open the brownies to dig in when Ivie's phone rings. Ivie answers it when she sees it's Lena.

Lena tells Ivie that they need to talk. Ivie agrees because she's finally going to get answers.

"I've got good news!" Ivie shouts after she hangs up her phone.

"What is it?" Vanessa asks excitedly.

"Lena's finally going to tell me what's going on! I have to go meet her at Jerica's place." Ivie frowns at that. She's never like Jerica because Jerica doesn't like her.

"I'll drive!" Selynn offers. They pile in Vanessa and Selynn's car and drive over to Jerica's house.

"Good luck!" Selynn calls teasingly from the driver's seat.

"Thanks." Ivie says happily.

Ivie's been waiting for this moment for a week. She watches Selynn and Vanessa drive away in the near darkness.

Then Ivie turns and walks confidently to the door to find out what's really going on with her younger sister.