Causing Chaos

Date: 3-24-17

Chapter 63: Causing Chaos

Lucas, Jerica, and Lena watch as John sits in the chair next to Mason. John puts his hands a few inches above Mason's heart and closes his eyes.

John's mouth start moving, forming words, but Lucas listens closely and hears no words. Lucas frowns but doesn't stop the process.

Lucas is sure John knows what he's doing. Why else would John do the spell?

Lena can't tear her eyes away from John and Mason, but Jerica glances at the door anxiously. What if someone comes in asking what they're doing?

Lucas looks closely at John's hands, noticing something off. Lucas sneaks a glance at Lena and Jerica, and seeing that they're not watching him, Lucas makes his eyes glow gold.

Lucas almost gasps, but he manages to control himself. It would alarm Lena and Jerica, when it's not really a big deal at the moment.

But it surprised Lucas to see that John's hands are glowing and no one else can see it. At least, Lucas assumes they can't.

There's a pale blue hue to John's hands, similar to what Lucas saw the day that Adrian taught Lena how to levitate. That seems like a lifetime ago.

Lucas wonders how Lena's been doing with her magic. He wonders if she's been practicing and if she's getting better at it.

Lucas wills his eyes to return to their normal color. He finds it easier to do this then before he shifted into a werewolf.

That reminds Lucas about what Monique said the day Lucas woke up in the hospital.

Lucas was asking where Mason was. Monique replied by gently saying, "Lucas, he's not as strong as you. He hasn't even shifted."

This memory causes Lucas to wonder how Mason will feel when he wakes up.

Is this going to affect Mason's werewolf side? He won't be able to hear heartbeats or feel other people's emotions.

Lucas stops that train of thought when he hears Lena gasp and Jerica takes a step back.

Lucas jerks his head up to see light blue magic hovering between John's palms and Mason's chest.

Lucas feels like he should go and put his arm around Lena to comfort her, but he's too tense to move.

After only a minute, the magic in the air becomes a dark churning blue. Lucas breathes in deeply to keep from freaking out. He hates not knowing what's going on.

Lucas is the first to catch on that something is wrong. The spell has been going on for a few minutes, and Lucas doesn't know if that's good or not.

Is the spell supposed to be this long? Or should it be even longer? The spell he used on Ivie lasted no longer than a minute. But John did say this is a complicated spell...

The thing that alerts Lucas to something wrong is how John's eyebrows are creased in deep concentration, and a single drop of sweat trickles down John's forehead.

Lucas' worry increases when he sees John's eyelids flickering. It doesn't seem like Jerica and Lena have noticed these things yet.

John's hands have been completely still this whole time, but Lucas swears he sees them twitch.

No one else says anything, so Lucas just watches on guard.

Very suddenly, John's mouth stops moving and he slumps back into his chair.

"John!" Lucas exclaims and rushes over to his best friend.

John immediately sits up, looking over at Lucas' worried face and Jerica and Lena's shocked expressions.

"Now for the second part of the spell." John says to explain away what just happened.

Lucas feels silly for thinking everything went wrong and John was hurt. He forces the blush away that was creeping up on his cheeks from embarrassment.

Lucas steps back, returning to his spot far enough away from John that he won't get hit by stray magic. You have to expect the unexpected.

John turns to Mason's unconscious body once again. But there isn't a second part of the spell.

John had told that lie because he didn't want everyone to know that he failed. The spell hadn't worked, but John is going to try again with the same spell.

But his method is going to be slightly different. Instead of slowly adding more magic to the spell like John's always been taught to do, he's going to pour all of his magic into it.

Lucas realizes that he should've been reading John's heartbeat, but with everything going on, Lucas forgot to. But he trusts John.

John repeats the process that he went through a few minutes ago. Close eyes, hover hands, mouth words, use magic. That starts up the spell, but it's much more powerful this time, since John isn't going with the slow approach.

John stays absolutely still for a full minute while he concentrates on the spell. A shudder runs through John as his body tries to reject the spell.

Lucas and Lena stare in concern at John, while Jerica looks on without emotion. She's not sure what to think.

John can feel the spell go from his hands and into Mason's body, meaning it's starting to work.

John pours more magic and energy into the spell, mouthing the words almost as fast as his mind can think them.

An ache suddenly goes through John, like he's running a marathon and all of his muscles are hurting.

Lucas hears John's breathing getting faster as his heart starts to race. Lucas wonders if he should stop this, but John is still mouthing words and his magic is visible around his hands.

Lucas doesn't know how magic works, so he finds himself wishing Adrian was here to tell him what's going on.

Mason's heart monitor suddenly goes off, beeping at them like crazy. Shoot. That's going to alert someone...

The line on the screen spikes up and down crazily, beeping the whole time. John stays still as he finishes off the spell.

John ends the spell, sitting back to see if it worked. Everyone was staring at the heart monitor, so they didn't notice John wiping blood from his nose in a hurry.

John slumps back in his seat. The heart monitor goes quiet and the line goes back to normal, which means Mason's heart is beating steadily again.

"Did it work?" Jerica asks anxiously at the same time that Lucas asks, "Are you okay?"

Fortunately, John heard both questions so he can answer them. "We have to wait to see if it worked." John replies to Jerica.

"And I'm fine. I think the spell went okay." John says to change the subject.

"What is going on in here?" A nurse demands to know as she storms inside, rushing over to check on Mason.

Lucas has time to think one thing before he realizes who the nurse is. We are so busted. Like they just got caught doing something bad, when really, they were only trying to save Mason.

It's the same nurse that escorted Lucas back to his hospital room a few days ago. When she burst in, Lucas could've sworn her eyes turned red like last time.

But when she looks up at the group standing shocked in the room, her eyes are not red.

"You!" She exclaims, looking directly at Lucas. "What did you do?"

"Me? Nothing!" Lucas says, glancing nervously around the room.

The nurse, who is now very annoyed, turns back in time to see Mason shoot upright in his bed. She lets out a screech and scrambles backwards in shock, which is when all of the commotion starts.

They had inadvertently caused a bunch of chaos. Whoops.