Unexplainable Occurrences

Date: 2-15-17

Chapter 9: Unexplainable Occurrences

Lucas feels the anger drain from his body as he slumps against the wall of his house. Jerica said the wolf might finish him off. Tonight. But why would the wolf come back? Why is it important that it's the full moon?

Lucas goes back inside to his computer in his room, determined to figure out what's going on. He's sick of being confused.

~*~

Lucas sits back in his chair hours later, trying to determine exactly what he read. According to the internet, he and his brother are turning into werewolves. But who trusts the internet nowadays?

Lucas laughs at his absurd thoughts. Then he puts his head in his hands and tries to think rationally.

Jerica walks into his bedroom unannounced. "I hope you got over your angry spell." Jerica says accusingly with her hands on her hips and a sarcastic smile tugging on her lips. This is her way of apologizing. Lucas doesn't have time for it.

"Hey! I meant to come talk to you." Lucas tells her excitedly. She raises her eyebrow questioningly. It's true, Lucas doesn't usually go seeking Jerica for a friendly chat.

"Something clicked a little bit ago." Before Jerica can make a joke out of that, Lucas hurries on. "You and Lena both got electrocuted last night. Her more than you, obviously."

"Just get to the point Lucas." She orders, losing the sarcastic side as her angry one takes over.

"The point is, I need to know what time she was hit by lightning." Lucas looks her in the eye seriously. "It might've been at the same time that you were shocked."

She sends him a scowl instead of saying aloud that he's crazy, but she goes along with it despite her doubts.

Lena answers the text immediately. "She says right before they left it was 9:59 p.m. So between 10-10:02 p.m."

"Do you remember what time I got shocked?" Jerica asks her brother, knowing that he got there the minute it happened, responding protectively because of her scream.

"Yeah. I was sleeping and when I heard you scream. When I got up, I looked at the time. It was 10:01 p.m." Lucas thinks that's close enough to be at the same time.

"So what if both accidents happened at the same time?" Jerica dismisses it, going back to thinking he's crazy.

"It can't be a coincidence!" Lucas exclaims with determination. "Have there been any side effects for you?" Lucas can no longer stay still so he spins in his office chair.

"No, Lucas. Well...maybe." Jerica pauses to think. "I've felt energized since then. It's hard to sit still."

"What about Lena? Any side effects for her?" Lucas inquires eagerly.

"I'll ask." Jerica says with a sigh, but really she's excited. She wonders if something supernatural is going on with her and Lena. That's all they wanted when they were kids.

Lena texts back quickly again. "Lena says she accidentally shocked her dad twice today."

Lucas sits still in the chair. "I wonder if you can..." Lucas smiles at Jerica.

"Go ahead, try to shock me." He allows, knowing that's what Jerica was going to ask.

"Okay!" Jerica's excited at the thought of embarrassing Lucas. Hopefully this works. If not, he still looks stupid to her.