Hangovers Suck

Alec POV 

      I wake up with a pounding headache, a knot in my stomach and the taste of stale alcohol on my tongue. Groaning, I roll over, immediately regretting the movement as my stomach roils in response. Instantly, I move a hand to my abdomen, as if it'll help, and open my eyes to look at the clock. 9 in the morning. I jump up, ignoring the sinking of my stomach and it's strong threat to spill all over the floor and fumble around for a minute before realizing this isn't my room. It's the beautiful room at Magnus'. 

"Magnus!" I call out, immediately bringing both hands to the sides of my head to ease the pounding I've created. He opens the door before I can relax, wearing pink sweat pants and a loose fitting white muscle shirt with the word 'fabulous' written in pink across the front. His hair is damp, falling slightly over his forehead and he has a towel draped over one shoulder. 

"Good morning, Alexander." I raise my gaze to meet his, wondering how much of a mess I am. He smiles softly, almost sympathetically and I groan in response. 

"What happened last night, what stupid things did I do?" He laughs lightheartedly, which both worries me and relaxes me. 

"Nothing, really. You took out your frustration in the form of copious amounts of shots, and when I figured you'd had enough, I brought you home." 

"Shots? I don't even drink."

"You did last night." I sigh, passing a hand over my face. At least I didn't do anything too embarrassing. 

"You also told me you were angry at Jace because you didn't want to feel guilty about choosing a life where you can have me." At this, I snap my head up, feeling the blush rise in my cheeks, flooding my face. I start to stutter, unsure how to respond. I've been so careful not to come on too strong, and then I go and mess it all up. He looks smug. 
"It's fine, Alexander. I choose you, too." It's all it takes, those simple words, and I can feel my whole world crashing. It's absolutely beautiful. We don't speak for a moment, both letting the weight of those words settle with us. "I left a toothbrush and some more painkillers in the bathroom for you. I called Camille, told her you weren't feeling well. She said to take as much time off as you need. She'll still pay your wages. I'll go down and start on breakfast." He turns to walk away and on reflex, I reach out and grab his wrist. 

"Magnus, wait." He pauses, half turning back towards me. I don't let him speak, instead, I wrap my arms around his small but firm torso, resting my chin on his shoulder. His arms wind around my waist and it feels like I've never fit anywhere else until this moment. I savour it for a moment before pulling away. Resting my hands on his sides, I meet his gaze. 

"Thank you, for everything, Magnus. You're really great." It's not much, but I smile softly and his reddening cheeks are enough to tell me for him, it's enough. "So um..." I back up a bit, dropping my hands and ignoring the emptiness I feel when he's not so close. "Breakfast sounds good. I'll just shower quickly." He laughs off the threat of an awkward moment and winks at me before turning on his heel and heading off. 

Magnus POV

      Before I met Alec, I never let anyone get too close. When feelings started to emerge, I'd throw myself into my work, come up with excuses as to why we could no longer hang out, and inevitably hurt every party involved. It's like I lose all of my willpower and stubbornness under Alexander's stormy gaze, and I can't find a good enough reason to set him free. I decide to take the day off on the off chance that Alec will stay with me, so I opt out of glittering my hair or doing much makeup. When I hear him coming out of his room, I meet him down in the kitchen to make some food.    

      I never realized how much I hated eating alone before the rare meals I've shared with him. The Chairman has taken a great liking to Alec, not that I blame him, and is currently weaving himself between Alec's feet. Alec eats his waffles, making small talk with me over the island and casually scratching Chairman Meow behind his ears. I smile fondly at the two of them before whisking our plates away to go into the dishwasher. I used to hate the quiet, knowing that only something so delicate as it can be shattered so irrevocably. I used to blare music, sing obnoxiously to the Chairman and prance around the room to avoid it. But now, standing in the kitchen with Alec, hearing his soft footsteps and breathing, I find it's enough sound to soothe me. 

"Thanks again, Magnus. I really appreciate all you've done for me." He begins as he wipes his hands on a hand towel. I notice immediately how this sounds like a goodbye, and take quick note of the sudden pain in my chest that's so foreign I worry I may need a doctor. "I guess I should head back to my apartment, get things back on track for my stupid job-" I cut him off, anything to get those words to stop flowing. 

"Do you like your stupid job, Alexander?" He knits his dark brows into one line as he thinks about the appropriate answer. 

"Not really, I guess. It pays enough for my dumpy apartment, and the work is easy." He shrugs it off, but I can see the look in his eyes that tells me he wishes his life were different. I know the feeling. 

"Why don't you come work with me? You do accounting, right? My current accountant is incorrigible, and I've been looking for a replacement for awhile. Come replace him, work with me instead." I try to come off like I'm not pleading, but if I'm being honest with myself, I've fallen hard for him and would do anything to spend more time with him. He looks shocked, eyes widening at the offer. We're friends, after all, despite how much I long to be more, it only makes sense to make each other's lives better, and I like his company more than I care to admit. 

"Magnus, you don't have'-" I can hear the guilt-ridden rejection coming from a mile away. It's tinged with want, but he doesn't want any handouts. 

"Please?" I stop him from continuing again and he looks awed and confused at the same time.

"You're not kidding." He states, not questioning. I smile, shrugging nonchalantly as if I wouldn't break if he says no, but I know his rejection, his walking out of my life would hurt terribly. He ponders for a moment, perfect row of teeth tugging insistently on his bottom lip. His hair is still vaguely damp from his shower and he pushes it back with one hand, fingers deft and smooth despite his nerves. After what feels like ages, his face works into a smile I've come so familiar with over the past few days. It's warm and cozy, reminding me of sunlight breaking through the clouds, or the feeling of submerging yourself in warm water. 

"Okay, Bane. Yeah, okay, I'll call and give Camille my two weeks." I shake my head, a wide smile breaking out across my face. 

"No need. I'll call. She can have my accountant. I'll put in a good fake word." He laughs, outright and full of life before groaning and cupping his forehead.