Bonus Chapter (3) Pack My Bags

A/N: So I know we haven't yet hit 4K but I was feeling inspired! Enjoy this little bonus chapter (yes, I'm making you wait for the wedding chapter) from Magnus POV. This is set during the two months away.

***

I pack up my final shirts for the millionth time in the last three weeks.

It's always the same. I wake up and call Alexander to wish him goodnight. We talk for about an hour- until the Chairman steals him for dinner time- and then I sit still, listening to the silence once he's hung up for what feels like hours.

Then, I toss my phone across the room (it's taken quite the beating and sports a few new cracks) in aggravation. I've never been so high strung, I've always been able to keep my cool, able to handle difficult situations with maturity and ease, but this is something different altogether.

This is pain I've never felt before, never wish to feel again.

Have you ever read those sappy stories where the author goes on and on about how character A's heart aches when they're away from character B and oh how sad it is that distance is pulling them apart and blah, blah, blah?

Sometimes, Authors are spot on.

It's like this dull ache, this constant throb in my body that reminds me how many miles lie between us. That he's literally well over an ocean away. His voice on the other end reminds me of where I belong, long nights curled up in his arms, tracing his caramel skin and smiling to myself because that, that is love.

And so I throw all of my belongings into three suitcases, write out the numbers on who to call to cancel this whole fiasco, google the prices on the earliest plane out of Paris, and when it's all said and done, I slide down the wall in my suit and dress shoes, push my carefully styled hair back and let a few tears escape.

It's an hour before I have to head out for a meeting. I take a shaky breath and stare at my hands, folded in my lap. I look out past the glass doors to the balcony, stare at the rising sun over the city skyline, barely catch the outline of the Eiffel Tower in the distance.

I compose myself again, fight off the feeling of isolation and distance. I stand up and unpack my things. It feels like defeat, in a way, the feeling of being unable to follow through with anything that matters.

It feels like I'm letting him down all over again. I can practically see the disappointment in his gaze whenever I close my eyes, the way he looked at me like I'd betrayed him.

All I'd ever wanted to do was keep him safe, content, and by my side.

I wonder if he gets lonely at night, the way I do, or in the middle of the day. I wonder if he misses me as immensely as I miss him.

If I were a better man, a better lover, I'd be on the next flight home. If I were a better lover, I never would've left.

I skip breakfast again as I head to the elevator. I make a call to the little Café down the street and ask them to have my usual ready.

It's a beautiful day, sunny with a slight breeze. It burns off the smog that always encompasses Paris, leaving a warm glow in its wake.

I wish I could enjoy it. Though, in the last few weeks, I've made a point of taking photos. Even so, it doesn't feel right. Alexander asked me to take a lot of pictures so that he could experience Paris, too. He was so strong about all of this, so willing. He knew I wanted to go, to do what was best for Bane Architecture, and so he made it happen.

He broke both of our hearts to fulfill my dreams. That bastard.

Maybe I'll take him here for our honeymoon.

We can take a boat on the canal, we can eat fresh baked croissants and sip dark espresso as the sun rises. We can be happy again, the way we should be.

I saunter into the Café, no motivation in my step. It's been dwindling drastically each day. I think the barista knows, especially today. She smiles sympathetically and throws a free muffin in with my coffee. I offer her a pathetic smile and a thanks as I head out and to the large office building in which all my meetings have been held.

It's been difficult, to say the least, and I want nothing more than to go back home after every gruelling meeting and complain to Alec about it. But it's not so easy, not right now.

I sip my coffee, noting how the bitterness fits all too well.

And before the meeting begins, I check my calendar and note: it's only another month and 4 days until I'm back home. Back to Alexander.

I square my shoulders, take a deep breath, and place a false smile on my face as I push through the doors.

***

So there you go! Just a tiny little short for you guys, I hope you enjoyed it ! I was feeling inspired! Huge thank you to Shiveries for the wonderful message and for making me want to add a chapter for you guys!