Bonus Chapter (7) Starting Over

A/N: 7k! Wow you guys, amazing. Thank you all so much! So I think after this one and another I have in mind, I might do a couple seasonal chapters and then probably call it, but for now, please enjoy this chapter! If you guys can get the reads up to 8k by Halloween, you can expect a special chapter.

This is the night that Alec gets kicked out of his house. Prepare for some feels.

***

(Alec POV)

I guess somehow I always knew.

I know that sounds cliche, but honestly, what else is there to say about it? I didn't wake up one morning feeling like a new person, or realize out of the blue that I like boys, it was just...there. Always. Like an integral piece of me, like a heart, or legs, being gay has just always existed for me.

I just never thought that saying it out loud would be so completely terrifying.

So many people say that family makes up your first and closest friends. The people you trust to love you despite your flaws, to love every single part of you.

In my case, that's not completely true. Don't get me wrong, being a Lightwood has its perks, and having wonderful siblings like Jace, Izzy and Max makes life a million times better, but the problems lie with my parents.

My father is a sheep dressed in wolves clothing. He acts as if he runs the show, as if he answers to no one but himself.

The real wolf?

That's my mother. Maryse Lightwood is the epitome of intimidation. There isn't a single thing that woman can't do in heels, and that includes running a household, a business, and stomping on anyone who doesn't follow her rules.

I've been beneath those thousand dollar heels before.

Trying to work up the nerve to go downstairs and face my parents, I smooth my hands down the front of my black dress shirt once more. Even when we're just at home, it's important we look lavish, that's just part of being a Lightwood. When you have money, you wear it. Glancing at myself in the mirror, I futilely try to tame my mess of hair before giving up and making my way to the bedroom door.

I can hear the television playing down in the lounge. I can hear Jace and Izzy rehearsing the alphabet with Max, and I can hear my mother correcting him with a sharp tongue when his 3 year old mouth says the letters wrong. Being a Lightwood starts young, and mistakes aren't welcome.

Balling my hands into fists to try and stop the shaking, I walk down the long staircase, noting how it feels longer than ever before, how I wish more than anything that the wooden steps would just open up and swallow me whole.

No such luck.

I can see my mother's head of inky black hair over the back of the sofa, intricately tied up on top of her head. My father has one arm around her, eyes on the television playing the news.

Izzy sits cross legged on the living room floor, flashcards with brightly painted coloured letters on them in between her freshly manicured fingertips. Lounging with Max in his lap and his back pressed against the armchair is Jace, blonde hair blinding even in the dim lamplight.

It's funny how the adopted one is more a Lightwood then I think I've ever felt, but it doesn't matter. He's the best friend and brother I could ever ask for, one of the only people I trust won't care about my sexuality. I don't think anything could ever come between us, especially not something so minute.