Controlled Alcohol Makes Dates Better

I glance at my phone, having just gotten off work. I'm due to meet Magnus at his place at 9, he's staying late at the office for a meeting. My screen lights up and I'm welcomed by several missed calls from Simon and a few texts demanding I call him instantly and explain where I've been. I sigh and dial his number, waiting for him to pick up.

"Alec, hey, where the hell have you been, man? No one at the office knows anything and you just stopped showing up. Is everything okay?" I laugh a bit and he stops bombarding me with questions. Briefly, I recap the past week, my growing relationship with Magnus and my new career. He whistles into the phone.

"Wow dude, you've got your mojo back, huh? That's freaking awesome. Magnus sounds like a cool guy, when do I get to meet him?" I chew on my lip, trying to avoid any answer.

"Not too sure, Simon. Maybe some other time, I'm having dinner at his place tonight." Simon wolf whistles and I roll my eyes but can't hide the blush that rises.

"Well, tomorrow night I'm meeting up with Clary and your brother. They're sort of a thing now," I raise my brows though he can't see me and wait for him to continue. "Izzy's gonna tag along and I think we're just going to watch movies. You should come, invite Magnus." I think it over for a second before deciding it might be a good idea to see them all and get it over with.

"Yeah, sure sounds good. I'll see if we can make it." Simon laughs softly.

"You sound like an old married couple already. Catch ya later, Alec." He hangs up and I roll my eyes again, stuffing my phone back in my pocket. The mid-April air is warm and damp with the aura of Spring. I walk slowly back to my apartment, enjoying the slight bustle of the streets and the time to think. So much has changed in the past week and a half that I've known Magnus, and I don't think I'd have it any other way. I just wish I had some idea if he was interested in more than being business partners and friends. There's something about Magnus that drives me absolutely crazy, and I can't help but worry he won't feel the same and I'll lose out on all these amazing opportunities he's given me.

By the time I arrive back at my apartment, it's nearing 7. I throw myself in the shower and wash off the unnecessary nerves of my first day, letting myself relax and look forward to my night with Magnus. Once the water starts to run cold, I step out and towel dry my hair before sliding into some comfortable dark blue jeans and a deep purple dress shirt. The air is humid outside, still too warm, so I roll the sleeves up and leave the first two buttons undone. When I'm all ready to go, it's almost 8:30, but still a little too early to catch a cab to his place. I shrug and grab my keys and wallet, slowly wandering downstairs. Maybe traffic will be bad, so I should probably head there early, just in case. But deep down, I know I just can't bare to be away from him any longer.

Magnus POV

I didn't tell him it was a date. I'm hoping he just got the gist and won't be absolutely horrified when he gets here. I wring my hands nervously and push my hair up. I left out the glitter, having noted that the few times he's seen me without it, he gets a fond, loving look in his eyes. I think he prefers me more natural. The Chairman meows at me and hops up on the bar stool by the island. I pat his head and lean my hip against the island, looking down at him.

"I've got it bad, don't I?" He meows in response and I nod, sighing. My homemade butter chicken and rice are staying warm on the stove when the doorbell rings. I push away my nerves even though I think I'm going to be sick and look over myself once more. My maroon skinnies are tight fitting and my black v-neck t-shirt with gold trim is formed to me. I tug on the sleeves of my black shiny blazer before pushing them up to my elbows. Biting my lip, I unlock the door.

Alec is a God, I swear. His dress shirt hugs him like a second skin and his pale white collarbone poking out from beneath it is driving me absolutely mad. His skinny jeans are tight and he wears black dress shoes with them, shiny in the pale light emitting from the open doorway. I meet his eyes and he smiles shyly at me.