Mario Kart and Max

"You weren't kidding about this house," Max says in awe as he sets some of the bags down on the living room floor. He spins around slowly, taking in the huge flat screen, the drop floor lounge with the leather couch and chairs, the striking blasts of colour in the form of area rugs, end table, throw pillows or wall hangings. He looks at the high bookshelves, the wall of windows that looks out over Brooklyn and the winding staircase. 

"Here, Max. We'll make Alec put the clothes away and I'll take you on a little tour." Max laughs brightly and flashes me an evil smirk as he follows Magnus. 

"Picking favourites already," I grumble but smile fondly as they walk towards the opening to the kitchen.

Magnus POV 

      I lead Max into the kitchen. "So this is our kitchen and bar," He drags his fingertips along the black marble countertop at the island and dances his way around the room for a moment before coming back to me. I smile at him and lead him back out towards the staircase. We ascend and he looks to this left and right at the wide hallways on either side of us. 

"Come this way, I'll show you the offices, guest rooms, game room and library." His eyes brighten up and I chuckle, hand on his shoulder as I guide him to the left. "This is the library," I begin, opening a set of wide double doors. Inside is a two-story library. "By far my favourite room of the house," I tell him, watching with an affectionate smile as he slowly makes his way around. 

"There's a comic book section. Maybe next time you come by you can borrow some stuff." He nods eagerly and smiles brilliantly as I lead him back out. "These are the offices," I gesture vaguely to a few doors and he nods, neither of us very interested in work. When I open the door into the games room, though, it's like he's just seen Santa or something. He darts in and props his hands on the pool table. "Do you know how to play, Max?" I ask, wandering up behind him. 

"No, but I've watched Jace and Alec play when I was younger." I nod and smile. 

"Well, you'll have to learn soon." He grins and nods. "There are gaming consoles over there, I don't use them too much, and movies too." He hangs around for a few minutes, looking everything over before following me out. We make our way back down the hall, passing the staircase. We wander towards mine and Alec's room and I smile, hearing him mumbling on the other side of the door. I cleared out a portion of my walk-in closet for him and his drab attire, considering it was only fair, even if the dark colours he wears clashes with the brightness of my own. I guide Max inside and he spins around in awe. 

"It's like the room I've always wanted." He says and I smile. 

"He does have good taste, I guess." Alexander pipes up, popping his head out from the closet. He's holding one of the suits in his hands and I smile.

"Leave that one out, you should wear it to work tomorrow," I suggest and he flashes me a quick smile but hangs it on the end of the clothing rack for the morning. "So, Max, what would you like to do?" I ask and he furrows his brows, thinking hard. 

"Could we play some games?" He asks and I nod. Alec peeks out again and groans. 

"You showed him the gaming room, didn't you?" He asks me pointedly and I nod sheepishly. 

"Mistake?" I ask, grinning now. 

"Big one." Alexander laughs and the sound lightens my entire mood. "He'll kick our butts." I chuckle and we all head to the gaming room. 

An hour later, I realize that Alexander was not kidding. We opted for Mario Kart, and despite my best efforts (I won't divulge just how much time I've spent playing this game), I lose to the little brat every time! Though so does Alexander, so it makes me feel a bit better. It's strange to see him interact with his younger brother, refreshing almost. He seems content, eyes bright with youthful glee. He looks at Max with pride and love, with fear and protectiveness. Seeing Maryse act towards Alec earlier filled me with so much anger and defensiveness, I wanted nothing more than to take Alexander and Max far away, make sure they'd never have to feel that way again. I make a note to myself to talk to Alec in a bit more depth about his mother.