For Us

I had no clue Magnus' parties were like this. His entire mansion is filled with bodies draped in elegant clothing, swirling gracefully below me. I snuck away to hide up in the hallway that overlooks the first floor, gazing down at the partiers below. It vaguely reminds me of parties my parents would throw, yet theirs were full of classical music and waltzing, which is definitely not what's going on down there. Music is blaring, the bass buzzing beneath my feet and the lights are off, replaced by various coloured strobe lights that dart around the room. I assume Magnus bought them just for occasions like this one. I take a small sip of my wine and feel a familiar hand rest on the small of my back. Its warmth seeps through the thin fabric of the teal dress shirt he insisted I wear tonight. It's as if my tension flows through the small touch, almost like he absorbs half of what I feel, takes the nerves and stress away without a single complaint. 

"Why aren't you downstairs partying?" He whispers with his lips close enough to my ear I can feel his breath. 

"Just taking a second to take it all in. It's phenomenal, Magnus, you've really outdone yourself." I compliment, turning sideways to face him. He looks flooring, to say the least, in a sleek grape dress shirt, loose glittery black suspenders hanging idle against his legs clad in maroon skinny jeans. His hair is spiked up to perfection, purple and silver glitter dancing in it. He wears his eyeliner proudly and looks more beautiful than I could ever hope to be yet somehow, he always makes me vibrant. 

"Do you know the reason I wanted so badly to throw this party?" He asks me, eying me with more seriousness than normal. Furrowing my brows until they knit into one, I look at him. 

"I assumed you liked this sort of scene, that's all."

"You're assumptions partially correct. I'm sure that you're wondering, though, how no one seemed to have other plans." I eye him quizzically, tilting my head a degree or so to the side. "I planned this prior to my outburst this afternoon," He begins, eyes on me as he explains. "I throw parties normally because I have a reason to and tonight is no different, aside from the fact that this reason is beyond important to me. Since things are just getting started, I'd like to tell them all why they're here tonight, come with?" He extends a slender arm out to me and I slide my hand into his palm, following him. We stop just shy of the first step and I watch as he produces a small black remote from his pocket and with a quiet 'click' turns off the music. No one looks irked or alarmed, though, as they turn towards us. I feel the panic tearing up through my chest, my eyes widening and I instantly regret drinking anything as I feel the sweet wine roiling in my stomach. Magnus is the picture of ease, all smiles and bright amber eyes cast out at the crowd. 

"Friends, I'd like to welcome you here tonight and thank you all for coming! Tonight is very special as it is a celebration of many things for me, personally, but one in particular that I'd like to share with you all. I've added a partner to Bane Architecture! For those of you who don't know him already, this is Alexander Lightwood, my boyfriend and the new co-owner of Bane Architecture!" The crowd erupts into applause and Magnus playfully bumps his hip into my own. 

"Now come," he stage whispers, turning the music back on below, "Celebrate. You deserve it, tonight is for you." I turn to him before he can pull away and damn anyone still looking as I pull him in by the suspenders hanging at his hips, curving his body into mine and finding his lips with my own. I push everything I have into this kiss trying to convey all the things I can't find words for. I try to open myself up to him, try to let him in and let him know how much I care. I can tell he's receiving it loud and clear. When we pull back, I brush our noses together softly, my thumb smoothing gentle circles on his hip. 

"Tonight is for us." 

The room is spinning around me. Or maybe I'm the one spinning. The little amount of alcohol running through my veins gives me liquid courage as it makes my bones feel like air. Magnus holds my hand as we twirl, my anchor, the only one in this entire room capable of keeping me on the ground. I can feel laughter tickling my lips, blooming purely from his smile, his eyes, the way his lips grace the underside of my jawline in passing as we lose ourselves in the music. Everyone here celebrating the two of us become irrelevent and for the first time since I was kicked out into the cold, left alone and broken, I feel like it was worth it. It was all worth it to bring me here. Magnus leaves to grab a drink and I'm swept away by Izzy. We dance near the corner so she can speak. 

"Alec! You didn't tell me you were his business partner! Anything else you're hiding, big brother?" She scolds playfully and I laugh. She can't hide her smile for long and soon it's beaming up at me. Just like a Lightwood, her smile breaks through the darkness like a beacon. Even in a corner of a crowded room, she somehow makes it the center. 

"Well, I suppose you should know Magnus asked me to move in and I did." Her eyes widen and she hops up and down in excitement which makes me nervous as I grasp her elbow and eye her 5 inch stilettos. 

"No freaking way! Oh my angel, this is amazing!" I smile at her back as she twirls away, no doubt to tell Jace or her newest fling, Raphael or something. Without Magnus next to me, I feel so light I could just float away. It's like I finally feel alive. I feel a wine glass slide into my hand and catch the intoxicating warm honey eyes of my love. 

"Cheers to us," He smiles and clinks his glass against my own. I laugh, taking a sip and hooking my finger in his belt loop to bring him to my side. 

"You don't understand what you've done for me," I begin, my voice laden with gratitude. Before I can go on, his lips silence mine and I don't fight him. Out of all the ways I've ever been told to shut up, this is definitely my favourite. 

"The only thank you I need is your happiness. It's enough for a lifetime." I press our foreheads together, grazing the back of my hand against his smooth cheekbone, trail down his jaw and rest against his shoulder, wine glass still tucked into my palm. And in that moment, I realize I feel no regret. This is one moment I never want to leave, but also one I'll never feel like I want to do over. My life has been full of moments I would give anything to redo, moments I wish I could change, but this one, right here, with Magnus in my arms and the crowd of people just a buzz of high energy behind us, is simply perfect. It's a drop of magic in this otherwise dull world, and I wouldn't change a thing.