Good News and Bad News

It's been a month since the outburst at lunch and things have been good. Summer is in full swing, the hot August sun beaming through the thick Brooklyn smog as I make my way to the office. Magnus went in early today, so I swing by his favourite cafe on my way to work. 

"Morning, Alec!" Clary calls from behind the counter. I smile slightly at her and walk up to the counter. She wipes her palms on her pink apron before turning to the espresso machine. 

"Headed to work? Where's Magnus?" She asks over her shoulder as she gets a start on my black Americano and Magnus' caramel macchiato with extra whip. 

"Went in early to try and seal some big contract out of Paris." Clary raises her eyebrows in what I assume is an impressed expression as she slides the first cup across the counter to me. 

"Paris, huh? Look at you two, going international!" I chuckle and push my hair back as I take a sip of my coffee. 

"Yeah, that's the goal. He's been working all the time, though, maybe we should all get together so he can unwind a bit. I'll talk to him, but maybe you guys should come over tonight for a little get-together." Clary looks excited at the thought as she slides over Magnus' cup. 

"Yeah, totally! That sounds awesome, I'll talk to Jace and the others!" I smile at her in thanks and pay for the coffees before heading out. 

"Morning, Alec." Tessa greets from her desk as I walk in. 

"Morning, Tess. Do you know if Magnus is still in that meeting?" I lean on the counter as we talk, ruffling up my hair. 

"Just got out, you should be fine to head up." She flashes me her typical bright smile and I thank her as I step into the elevator. Catarina smiles at me and nods at the door as I walk in, letting me know it's fine for me to go in. I step inside, pushing the door open with my back as to not drop the coffees. Magnus is slouched on his desk and I can see the exhaustion lines etched into his face. 

"Morning, Bane. Coffee?" I ask, worry creasing my brow. He throws me a sleepy smile but I can sense something's off. 

"Yes, please." He reaches out and takes it from me, taking an eager sip and sighing contently afterward. 

"You okay? You look upset over something." I lean on his desk, setting my own coffee down and smoothing my thumb over his cheek. 

"Of course, love, don't you worry your pretty little head about me. I'm just tired of having to get up so early." I nod, still not totally convinced but he distracts me, standing up and kissing me slowly, persuasively. I can feel it in the kiss, the silent plea to just let it go. For now, I do. 

"Alright. I was thinking we could invite everyone over tonight and have a little pool party." He brightens up slightly and smiles at me. 

"Yeah, that sounds nice, darling." I smile again at him and press my lips to his temple, nuzzling into his dark hair for a quick second and inhaling his smooth, minty musk before pulling back. 

"Great. I'll let Clary know, she's great at spreading the word. Anyone you want to have over?" 

"I'll invite a few people that I want you to meet. You'll like them" I nod and smile once more, backing towards the door. 

"Awesome. I'll see you at lunch." I head down to my own office, sitting at my desk and chewing on my lip. Something's off about him today, I just want to figure out what. The day passes slowly as I throw myself into accounting work and Magnus ditches out on lunch for another meeting. I let him without putting up too much of a fight, knowing he wouldn't try and ditch me on purpose. I make a mental note to talk to him about how much he's been working later, maybe once everyone leaves tonight. When it's time to head home, I make my way to his office and pull him to my chest.