Melody

Evan took a step back in shock, eye dancing around my face.

His brows frowned as he stared down at me when he realized I was telling the truth. A few moments later, his hands were sliding through his hair. If I didn't know any better, I just threw a huge curve ball at him-this was something he was not expecting at all. I think he was thinking more of the fact that I agreed to join the family business like he did.

But in reality, I am an accessory to murder.

"Please tell me that is a joke." He finally got out.

Shaking my head, I wiped the tears from my cheeks. "Dad somehow got a phone and messaged me. He admitted that he hired someone to kill Ashton. I lost my shit. He not only took Ashton from me. He took him from you. I wanted him dead. Ruben helped me get into the prison and get an interview room. Where I signed his death certificate, telling him he was going to die. I let dad walk, let him get a taste of freedom, then O'Brian took care of him."

Evan stared at me for a few minutes then he started to laugh. It wasn't the kind of laugh where he found this amusing. It was the emotionless kind of laugh, no meaning behind it. Just lifeless. His hands formed fists like he was almost mad before he started talking.

"My little sister did the one thing I couldn't." He gridded out. "I should have been the one to take him out, I should be the one protecting you, and I should have been the one in the prison room with dad telling him his life was over. Not you."

Okay, I didn't see this one coming, I thought.

"Like I said before, you have spent your entire life making sacrifices for me. Now it's my turn to do it for you. Let me carry the burden of what happened to dad. You want to join this life, fine, then so be it. But don't think for a second that this life is like the underground fight club. It is way more dangerous than you think, it is not for the weak. And don't join this fucking life for me." I said, pointing a finger at his chest. "If you join this life it better be for your damn self. Do you understand me?"

Evan smirked making my anger rise. "Where in the hell did you get so damn mean?" He said rubbing his chest.

Giving a small shrug, I said. "The day Ashton was taken from us. I'm tired of this shit, and I was tired of people pushing me around. If people are going to push me, then I am going to push back harder."

"That's my girl," Evan said pulling me into a hug. "It's about fucking time."

Getting home, Ares was in his study. He was like always looking through paperwork. I considered on asking if he wanted any help, but if it's mafia business, then he would not share it with me. Was the restaurant business consider mafia business? I thought.

"Anything I can help you with?" I asked because it was worth the shot.

Ares shook his head, not looking up from his work. Taking a seat on the sofa he has in his office. I lightly rubbed my belly. "You should already know the answer to that." He said grimly.

Rolling my eyes, I continued to rub my belly. "I meant with the restaurant. I can help you manage it that way you can focus on what else you need to focus on."

This time he looked up from his work, his brow raised in questioning. But soon his eyes followed the movement of my hands. I still wasn't sure how he fully felt about the pregnancy, but he sure was stepping up to the plate. And for that, I was thankful for.

"What's with the sudden interest in helping me?" He asked, sitting back in his chair.

Giving a small shrug, I scanned all the paperwork on his desk. "You work too hard and often times you come to be early the next morning. I figured that maybe if I help take a load off, you might be able to relax a little bit more."