Ares

"I wasn't able to find out the information you wanted," Bo said, rubbing his temples. "They refused to talk, I may have grown up with them, but I am not one of them. They do not tell their business to outsiders."

Rubbing the stub on my chin, I thought about this. We do not tell anyone of our business, period. It is punishable by death. I could understand why they won't tell us anything, but this was something I needed to know before we leave for France.

"Why is it so important to know?" Detrick asked, eyes intense. He was a rare breed as well, a man who can harness his emotions is a dangerous man. If he weren't already sworn to this club, I'd recruit him myself.

"That is mafia business," I said, smirking when I saw irritation came over him. He was good, but I was better. "by now, you should know that Melody has a target on her back. Not only are eyes from my world are on her, but the assassins are as well. First Vile and now Infinity. She was in my home talking to Mel, and I watched the security tapes. They are trying to recruit her, and something tells me you already know this."

Bo's body went stiff. He was aware that they were after his daughter, and he also knew that there was no stopping this. If they want her, they were going to take her. So the question is, will she bend and break at their demands, or will she be able to walk away?

"They don't-"

Waving my hand, I cut him off. "Stop the bullshit. Tell Detox if he wants to talk to her to just do it, there is no point in trying to avoid this. She doesn't need people feeding her different information at different times. It's better to lay it all out at once."

Bo shook his head. "No, that isn't the life I want for her." He said, staring me down. "I don't want your life for her either. Why was it so important to have her as your wife? There are more qualified girls out there."

Standing up, I fixed my suit and then tucked my hands in my pockets. "She is qualified. Or did she not tell you what she already did?" I said, with a wicked grin. When he didn't reply, I let out a soft chuckle. "The girl went to see her father, sentence him to death, then went on her merry way like it never happened."

Bo narrowed his eyes, trying to find out if I was lying. When Mel wanted blood, she got it. The moment she signed to contract her true side started to come out. She was born for this life-it also makes sense as to why she was able to be mute most of her life. It just took the right people to push her to talk.

"What are you talking about? She did no such thing. She is a sweet girl and doesn't have the stomach for it."

"Then perhaps you don't know her as well as you think. Her mother was a Don's daughter. Her father was a gang member. She was bred for war. I don't believe in fate, but she is the girl who has united us all."

"What do you mean united us all?" Cam asked confused. He looked around the room trying to understand this. "and what war?"

Nodding at my men, they started to leave the room. "Nothing." I said, following my men. "at least nothing for you."

When I got home I found Mel in my office. She was working on the books-which I got to say that she is doing a good job. While I was not on top of the booking and payroll, she was great. She made sure that each check was ready to go the night before. Hell, she even came up with a system only she understood.

"How long have you've been working?"

Giving a little shrug, she looked up from the papers in front of her. "I don't know, but I want to finish before I go to bed. Payroll is also due Friday, and no one has turned in their timecard. I need those by tomorrow, or no one is getting paid."