Melody

Did everyone get to read the last chapter I posted before this one? When I tried posting using my phone, it wouldn't let me right away. I do know some of you guys didn't get to read it, or even seen the update.

If you haven't read the last chapter, can you please message me to let me know? Thank you in advance and happy reading!

------------------

Pain.

Pain has always been in the center of my life no matter where I went. So for her to say my, our, humanity is tied to that makes sense to me, the more pain I felt the more I hated feeling it and the more I hated myself from feeling it and I always wanted to get away from it. Although the pain wasn't the worst part, the worst part is not being able to escape it.

As Emerald placed her palms flat on the table she never took her eyes off me, telling me that she was far from done. She had this way of analyzing you without even breaking a sweat, it was the way her head tilts to side and the way her eyes scan over you. If you didn't know any better you would think that she is just plain crazy, and I guess in a way she was.

We all are.

"What does pain have to do with your humanity?" Ares asked. "Doesn't humanity mean that you care about others with a passion? Or some shit like that."

"Humanity means nothing when you have no one to care about." She said calmly. "What kind of pain do you think is tied to your humanity, Melody? I know you know the answer to this one."

All eyes turned to me at the sound of my name. I shifted in my seat a little uncomfortable at the fact that she put me in the hot seat, no one ever likes to be in the hot seat. "I don't kno-"

"Don't give me that shit." She snapped. "You know this, that is why you refused to answer. You rather not think about it because it's still an open scar for you."

How dare she!

"Love." I snapped. "Love is tied to our humanity and if we lose the one we love the most in this world then we have no reason to even care."

Emerald gave a small smile. "Our humanity is tied to boring old love and love is tied to pain. Are you starting to see a pattern here? Kill the love of your life, go on a mass killing spree." She made her hands look like a weigher moving them up and down as her words sunk in.

"Did you just say kill the love of your life, go on a mass killing spree?" I asked, a bit shocked.

"I did."

I looked to Ares and he seemed to be lost in this clue that she was giving us. "Are you indirectly telling us that the reason why the Sicarii went on that killing spree was because someone killed the love of their lives?"

"Ah, I see you are a fast learner." She said. "Yes. Granted we didn't have much control over our abilities like we do now, it was harder for us to get back in with our humanity. Which brings us back to the topic at hand, if you were to kill the ones we love then all we see is red and we follow our basic nature."

"And our basic nature is to kill?"

Emerald smiled standing up straight and clapped her hands once. "You catch on fast." but as fast as the smile came it went. "Remember when I said there was more to the story than what the Rangers told you? They wanted to bend the truth and make it look like they saved the world when in reality they almost destroyed it."

I sat there stunned. No words were coming out nor were they forming, the Rangers were trying to get me to side with them. Making it seem like the Sicarii was the enemy knowing full well that they were the ones who made those men go crazy. Anger started to form in the pit on my stomach. How dare they come into my home and say that Sicarii were the enemy when in reality the Rangers were.