Ares

"Your wife-to-be has fallen on our radar."

Detox said stepping more into the room, clasping his hands behind his back and lightly paced the floor. "She is on our radar for many reasons, one being that she is marrying you. Not every day the mafia has arranged marriages, at least not anymore. The underworld is talking of her-"

"Surly you are not here to find out when the wedding date is." My father grunted, interrupting what was being said. Clearly not fearing for his life. If he values his life, he will keep his mouth shut. I thought, disappointingly.

Detox looked to my father with annoyance. The Rangers do not take mocking lightly, and that is what my father is doing. I wouldn't be surprised if my father turns up dead somewhere. In fact, that would be a fucking weight off my shoulders. He was that annoying itch you can't reach...fuck, if my mother could see me now.

"What my father is trying to say but failing. Is why is she on your list? She hasn't done anything that would draw you to her." I said, somewhat trying to save my father.

Detox stared in my father's direction for a moment longer, before returning his attention to me. "There is more to Melody than meets the eye. We have been watching Mrs. Power for some time now, killing those who gotten too close and by doing so. We got word that one of the children she has adopted was showing signs of what we seek. Upon further investigating we found our source to be right."

"So you mean to tell me that you want to recruit my fiancée?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. "What makes you think I am going to let her be part of such a thing?"

Cocking his head to the side, Detox studied me for a few seconds. "Recruiting? Maybe. That depend on how much she is in touch with herself. Her mother, birth mother, was someone we wanted. The problem was that she was an expert on disappearing. It took a long time to find her, but then Melody's father had to go and kill her—should have put the bastard in the ground myself—Melody possesses something that I may want. If she is able to do what I think she is able to do, then yes, I will recruit her whether she wants it or not."

The room was silent. Rangers never recruit people for the hell of it; there is always some bottom lining as to why they so something. When they kill, they kill with a purpose. They just don't kill someone because they feel like it, that was punishable by death. They also do not just recruit anybody. The people that are in this organization ranges from bloodlines and people they picked up who they thought were worthy.

"What does she have that you want?" I said. "This is my girl we are talking about, she is carrying my kids, so if you think you can come in here and beat around the bush as to why you want her, then you thought wrong. No one touches my girl, without my knowing and permission."

The Rangers were good at hiding their emotions. Even if someone close to them is killed, they can hold their cold exterior. Rumors say that they don't even mourn the dead. They just bury them and move on, and looking at them now it was easy to see how that can be true. Were these men related or are they just people Detox recruited over the years? It was hard to tell because of the masks and the clothing. They all look alike for a reason; many would love to take out pure breed assassins.

They are stronger than the average assassin, and they possess skills that are inherited by DNA. No man is able to do what they are able to; it's almost like that are supernatural.

"You underestimate us, Ares." He said, bringing me out my head. "We, I, already knew she with child. In fact, she is having twins, no?"

For the first time in my life, I felt my breath hitch. No one was ever able to make me speechless. He knew something that we haven't even shared with the public. The family and my men only knew this. My men would never cross me, and Mel's family wouldn't put her in harm's way. They were fucking good and they knew it.