Ares

I was out of bed before dawn this morning unable to sleep anymore. Mainly because I woke up briefly to find a text from O'Brian saying he found something I should know. At first I was going to tell him to fuck off, but then he sent a following message saying it was about the kid Christian. Now, I wouldn't have cared too much about the topic of him but I have seen him around in places a kid shouldn't be. Christian was as dirty as they come which is why I told him to leave Me alone that day at the library.

Even though I knew he was dirty, his job was never classified which rubbed me in all the wrong places.

"This better be good," I said once he picked up the line.

Before he answered me I heard him bark some orders. "Trust me, you are going to want to help out on this one." He said, then gave out some more orders. "Mel came to me yesterday saying she was starting to feel weird around-"

"Wait," I said cutting him off. "She was with you yesterday?"

Why in the hell would she go to him about this kid? She knew very well I could handle shit like this, if O'Brian doesn't kill him I sure will.

"Yeah, pissed my office assistant off too, it was rather funny, she came storming into my office right after Mel left, had to put her back in her place around here. But I am not calling you to tell you how she picked me over you. I am calling because I want to keep her safe."

I pinched the bridge of my nose I took a big breath in to calm myself. "What did you find out?"

Before he answered me gave off more orders and at this point, it was sending me on high alert. You only give off this much orders when some shit is going to go down. "I rather have you come down for this one, I would rather talk about this in person. How soon can you get here?"

Looking at the time I found it to be barely seven. "I can be there in thirty."

"Okay, see you soon then, oh and bring the cherry pie."

Dropping my phone on the table I sat back in my chair thinking about all the shit that can happen right now. Cherry Pie was a code word our fathers came up with when they wanted to talk business back in the day. For a few months, the phones were wiretapped so they had to be creative so the feds wouldn't figure this out.

Getting up from the chair I made my way over to the bedroom to tell Mel that I am leaving. She was still passed out, her hair was spread over the pillow and the blankets were up to her chin. For a few minutes, I watched her sleep because this was the only time I can look at her without her giving me sassy.

Giving a small sigh I pushed the hair out her face, she stirred under my touch before turning around. "Mel, I have to leave. I have business to attend to." I saw her slightly nodded her head followed by a tired okay. "Call me if you needed anything, I will also leave two men out front if you need them."

"Bring back muffins."

"Muffins?" I ask stifling a laugh.

"Uh-huh. Chocolate ones please."

Laughing lightly, I stood up straightening out shirt. "Alright, chocolate ones it is. I'll be back in an hour."

Getting to address O'Brian sent me, I admired the outside of the house. Nice modern cabin look, with sky-high pillars, and painted a dark redwood. Looking the grounds I had to give him props for finding this kind of place, a better place to not get caught, and also reminds me that I have to stop doing business at the corporate office.

Walking up to the door, his men gave me a nod before opening the door. "You two stay here, help with watching the door and grounds. The other two with me."