Chapter 23 Tragedy

I sit in the bedroom waiting for Luc-Mason to come back. He got a call and left the room to take it. It's been a while, I wonder what's going on. The door opens and he walks in, a somber look on his face. That's not a good sign.

"What's wrong?" I ask quietly.

He sighs and sits beside me, grabbing my hands in his. "It's-" He stops and looks down. "It's your mom."

Oh no. "What about her? Is she okay? What happened?"

"She-she was in a shooting."

"Is she okay? Mason! Is she alive?" I shake him, tears streaming down my face. I need to know if she's okay, she has to be. She's strong, she'll fight, she'll live. Mason doesn't answer, only looking down at the ground.

"Mason?" I say quieter. "Please tell me she's alright. Please tell me she's alive. I need to know that she's okay. Please Madon." I look at him, desperate for an answer.

"She's in critical condition, they don't think she'll make it. I'm so sorry dar-"

I cut him off, falling to the ground, screaming and sobbing. For my mom, for me, for my old life, for everything I've lost. I feel himcsit beside me and his arms wrap around me, holding me together. I let him, because right now I need someone. I cry into his chest for what seems like hours before I fall asleep in his arms.

.

.

.

When I wake up it's dark and I'm alone. Mason's voice carries in from the hallway. I think he's on the phone again. I walk quietly to the door, listening, trying to hear what he's saying.

"How do I tell her?....I can't do that....It will break her....I've just made progress.....I don't want to lie..." He walks away still talking and I can't make out anything else he says. I slide down the floor, pulling my knees to my chest.

My mom is all alone, not knowing if I'm even alive. I won't even get to tell her I love her one last time or tell her goodbye. I tear up, putting my head in my hands. Why is this happening? What did I do to deserve this? Why am I being punished? What did I do that was so bad?

The next thing I know I'm full out sobbing again. Mason walks in the room and kneels next to me, wrapping his arms around me, pulling me close.

"Darling, I'm so so so so sorry. If I had known this would happen I would have left you there. I would have done something. But I didn't know." He smooths my hair, letting my cry into his shoulder.

"I have to tell you something." He says hesitantly. "Your mom...she uh...she doesn't remember anything right now, notneven her own name, they uh, they don't know if she ever will. I'm so sorry so so so sorry. I'm really sorry."

I sit, shocked for a moment before I scream, clutching my chest. He tries to comfort me but I push him away. I don't want to be touched. Why? Why does everything bad have to happen to me, why can't she remember me.

I cry and scream until my throats raw and then I lash out. Punching walls and throwing stuff. Mason doesn't try to stop me. When all my anger and sadness has gone I'm left numb and the room is a disaster. 

I sit curled up in a corner, staring at a wall. I heard Mason telling someone on the phone that I was in shock. He says other things as well, but I stop paying attention. I barely blink and I'm sure I would stop breathing if that wasn't a natural bodily function. I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that my mom forgot me and I may never see her again.

A few tears trickle down my face. I don't think I have many left, I haven't had anything to eat or drink and I'm starting to feel the effects of it.