Chapter Seven

Warning: some violence ahead.

Shortly after you had put Sally to bed, you had started feeling nauseous and dizzy. You brushed it off as a side effect from your headache, but just in case you were wrong, you went to go see Opal's grave. Oh, your sweet Opal, how you missed her! Coming up to her grave below the tallest dogwood in the forest, you put down some hibiscus flowers on a beautiful marble stone and smiled at it.

"Hey, love," you greeted. "I hope all is well with you in Paradise. I miss you. A lot. But, you already know that," you chuckled, sitting down against the trunk of the tree. "Why am I here? I wanted to hear your songs, of course. I miss your sweet voice, lovely."

You felt a presence next to you and a small head being placed on your shouder, even though no one was there. "Don't worry, you're soul will be avenged and you won't have to watch over me anymore. You can have peace, I promise." A cold space hovered above your hand and you squeezed it back. "Say 'hi' to Mom for me. I know she misses me to. I love you, Ope."

You stood up and kissed the tree bark lightly. When you pulled away, that's when you heard it. Footsteps. "Madness?"

You turned quickly and saw Jane a few feet away, panting and gasping for breath. You ran over to assist her. "Jane? What are you doing out here?"

"Me? What are you doing out here?" She shook away from your grasp.

"I was getting some fresh air," you straightened your jacket out, awkwardly. "What were you running from?"

"Clockwork," she grumbled. "This is awfully far away from the house for 'fresh air'."

"It's also very far for escape from your best friend," you narrowed your eyes. She didn't say anything and just averted her gaze from you. You stuffed your hands and your pockets and sighed. "Look, I'm not trying to point fingers. Let's just get home before it gets any later. I'm sure Clockwork's calmed down since then."

"Do you know the way back? We're really far away from the mansion." She nervously looked around, unknown about her whearabouts. "I wasn't paying attention when I was running."

"Don't worry, I come out here a lot more often then you think," you smirked. You did a 360° turn on the heels of your feet before pointing to the left of Jane and began to walk. She hesitated at first, but followed. You kept your head down while you walked and remained silent. Something that concerned the girl.

"So... what were you really doing out there? I saw you looking down at a tree," she said.

Your body tensed and you turned your head to the side to hide your pained expression. "Nothing you need to worry about," your voice came out low and dismissive.

Jane knew she shouldn't pry, but she couldn't help herself. She should've left it at that. But she didn't. "Are you sure? You're not acting like yourself."

"It's nothing you need to stress yourself with. It's my problem, not yours," you said, trying to maintain your cool. Drop the subject, Jane. Drop it, please, you begged her in your mind.

"Y/N, we are a family. We all have our own problems. But we need each other to help us through our issues. If you just tell me what's wrong, I can help you-"

"I said it's nothing, Jane! Drop the f*cking subject! Please!" You snapped. She jumped. You never snapped at anyone. She didn't know how to react to that. All she could do was stand still and gawk at you. You turned to look at her with your red eyes and they immediately faded when you saw her body posture and clenched fists. "Jane, I'm sorry-"

She swung, you ducked and side swept her. She fell on her back and looked up at you with her mask crooked on her face. You held up your hands to explain yourself, but she let put an animalistic growl and jumped up, pulling out her knife. "Oh, it is ON!" She yelled.

"Jane, no, I don't want to fight you," you backed away from her.

"Too bad, because I really want to fight you," she slowly stalked towards you.

Your claws sprang out detecting a threat around you. "No, I'm not- ahhhh!"

You were knocked off your feet by a humanized naked mole rat. It's body was thin and pale with claws that could rival your own. You and it rolled on the dry ground until it finally pinned you down and then and only then, did you realize what it was. The Rake. Before you could even process the information, it ripped through your leather jacket and into your flesh, leaving four long gashes in your shoulder making you scream in pain as purple blood gushed from your open wound.

"Madness!" Jane cried and sprang to help you. She ran to the creature and kicked it off of you, watching it roll and then growl menacingly at her. You sat up and watched it and Jane circle each other. The Rake acted first and leapt for her throat, but she quickly stabbed it in the shoulder before it could reach her. Seemingly an ineffective hit, the beast howled and slashed at her arm. It hit and she stumbled, however you were there to knock the being off of its feet with your large wingspan.

It turned to you and swung at you with its claws; you swung back with yours. It was a battle of hands. Every attack was countered as you desperately tried to take the advantage. You would attempt to take to the sky, but decided that it would most definitely go after Jane if you did that. Glancing back, you noticed that she was waiting for the perfect time to strike when you had it distracted.

Finally, you had both of its wrists in your hands and were squeezing them tightly. It yelped and bit your forearm making you yelp. "Jane! Now!" You flipped the Rake and held it in a headlock. Jane charged and stabbed it in the stomach, letting you swing it around and out of sight.

For a moment, all you both could do was catch your breath and wonder what just happened. You were leaning over on your knees and let your claws retract back into your fingernails. Jane was looking to you with regret and hurt under her mask. She breathed in ready to say something, but you stopped her.

"Don't... say... anything," you panted, "I'm sorry for snapping at you. I... I got defensive."

"No, Y/N, I'm sorry. It was your business to tell me and I pried you too much. I should've left you alone," she sighed. "C'mon, let's go home-"

A shriek sounded, a sickening tear of skin, and a whimper of pain. Jane watched as the Rake retreated once and for all this time and tossed her knife, catching it on its handle like Jeff does. She put a hand on her hip and turned back around to you. "Well, that was eventful-..." she stopped and dropped her knife on the ground almost screaming at the sight of you.

Your throat had five full thick gashes of claw marks and it was gushing with thick purple blood. Your eyes fluttered as you collapsed onto the ground, choking on your own blood.