Chapter Sixteen

"F-fiancé!?!" Jane shrieked. The thought of you falling in love and settling down with someone frightened her to no end. But when she saw your sad smile and weakening stature, she immediately regretted her outburst of surprise. "I'm so sorry... for your loss..." she mumbled, sitting down next to you right in front of the tombstone.

"It's okay," you said, forcing a shaky breath out of your throat, "I'm okay." You sat there for a moment looking down at the tombstone, seeing Jane's eyes dart up and down trying not to stare dumbly at the grave. Her uneasiness made you chuckle. "You can read the stone, Jane, I'm not hurt."

"O-okay," she stuttered. On the marble tombstone, it read:

In loving memory of,
Opaline G. Ambrosia

1534 - 2013

"My voice is only as loud as my heart and my heart sings for my one true love, Y/N Za'lgatoth."

Jane read the writings and tilted her head like a confused puppy. "Wait, wait, wait, what? Fifteen hundred thirty four to two thousand thirteen? That's..." she trailed off, trying to do the mental math.

"Four hundred seventy four," you answered for her. "Opal was four hundred and seventy four."

Opal, Jane thought, that's a beautiful name. No wonder he loved her, she thought sourly. "How is that possible? No human could possibly live that long."

You smirked. "She wasn't exactly human."

"Then... what was she?" She asked softly.

"A iustitiae," you answered. "It's latin for justice." When all you got was a curious glance from Jane and awkward silence, you continued, "A iustitiae brings and gives any needed justice or vengeance to an unfair situation. If a child is treated poorly or if a government is stealing money from its people and country, the iustitiae assess fair consquences to the evildoers and gives peace to the victims."

"Wow," she breathed in astonishment, "but, how come there are still countries crumbling under cruel dictators and bullies in schools and stuff?"

"I'm getting too far ahead of myself," you sighed.

"Then start from the beginning, because I'm confused as all hell," Jane looked at you.

You took her hands in your warm ones and forced her to look into your eyes. "Promise me that you won't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you, Jane."

She gulped. "I promise."

Releasing her hands, you took a deep breath. "Alright, here goes," you look down at Opal's grave for reassurance and closed your eyes. "My dad wasn't always there for me, being the leader of the Underealm he had a lot of royal business and such; I was mostly raised by my mom. She taught me how to be a proper young man and to love and respect all those who would cross my path even if they are my enemies. I loved her and she loved me like no mother had ever loved her demon son in the Underealm.

"Then one day, she got sick. She got so, so, so sick. My father took off of his royal duties for a short time to watch over my mother's health along with the doctors, but there was nothing they could do. She died on my eighth birthday," you coughed back the lump in your throat. "I wasn't the same after that. I stopped smiling and became cold and cruel to everyone in my path, especially my people. They wished for their kind-hearted prince back; my father however was estatic. Yes, he was sad for the loss of his wife, but he knew that she was holding the true beast that I was, back."