Epilogue

"Faster, Madness, faster!"

You chuckled and ran harder and deeper into the woods. Sally squealed in delight and held onto your neck tighter. She yelped when you ducked in and out of bushes and screamed when you jumped over stray logs and landed with a thump on the ground. Her little laughs and excited giggles kept you going until you finally reached it:

Dead Man's Drop.

You quickly unfurled your wings from the slits in your jacket and got ready to leap off the cliff. You yelled for Sally to hold on and then you jumped into the foggy abyss. You both fell and fell until your wings eventually jolted you up and soared high above the clouds to admire the view. Hey, you did promise to show her, didn't you?

You heard the little one suck in a breath in awe. "Wow," she whispered, starstruck by the beautiful colors of the sunset. "I never knew the sky could be so pretty."

"Yup," you sighed, "that's the beauty of nature. It can both beautiful and deadly at the same time."

"I never knew," she repeated.

You nodded and let her soak up the sight. You had to admit, it was a pretty marvelous sight. Up close at such high altitude gave a majestic view of the clouds surrounding the sun. It could give anyone goosebumps.

"Hey! Eagles! C'mon, it's getting late!" A male voice called from down below.

"Coming!" You yelled back. "Guess Masky's worried about staying up too late, huh?"

"Yeah," she sighed disappointingly.

"It's alright, I promise to take you up here more. Every night, if you'd like."

Her green eyes lit up like Christmas trees. "Really?"

"Yeah, totally, chickadee," you said.

"Yay!"

You chuckled and to drift downwards. "Anything for an angel."

***

"Welcome back," Jane smiled, wrapping a fluffy white robe around her body. Her mask was off and her hair was dripping down her back in black, wet strands.

Coming out of the bathroom in her room, she was met with the sight of you taking off your leather jacket and putting it neatly on the coat hanger by the door. Her eyes immediately glanced down to the hard muscles constricting against the tight sleeves on your arms and shoulders. She wondered if you only wore those types of shirts to tease her.

If so, it was working.

She sat onto the bed and began to braid her hair in two long braids for the night, while watching you pull your shirt over your head and toss it into the dresser. Her slim fingers worked vigorously at the hair style to keep herself from visibly drooling. It was already enough that she was biting her lip, she didn't need to feed your ego any more. As she finished up one braid, she began another as you layed down against the left side of the bed next to her.

"Thank you," you smiled. You propped one arm under your neck and rested another on your knee that was also propped up, letting your wings curl under you. The position made you look like a model on the cover of one of the mundane male fashion magazines. "How was Grown-up Girl's Day?"

"Great," she said, tying the second braid in a hair tie. She layed back down against the pillows next to you and looked up at you with her big black eyes. "Clockwork and I went to a little fashion store and raided the unreleased dresses and pants in the back. But the owner of the store came around and we had to kill her, so we had to pack up pretty quick. But after that, we went to Sephora and stole all of the make-up and nail polish, and oh my God, it is so gorgeous," she rambled.