Chapter Eighteen

Warning: prepare for an epic battle.

Lord Za'lgatoth, sole ruler and leader of the Underealm, was a lot of things, but he was not scared. He had only been scared a seldom amount of times in his life. He was scared when he was announced Lord of his hellish domain and he was scared when his wife was on her deathbed. However, he was never scared of his son. He was the one who decided if you lived or not, his own blood ran through you after all. If he wanted you dead, he could have it done.

"My Lord?"

Zalgo turned his head up to be met with a simple servant girl. She had cow hooves for feet and stood fearfully in front of him. He was known to have a very fickle temper, so it was no surprise if a servant didn't show up for work after getting in a scuffle with him. "Yes, Tabitha, what is it?"

"Um, Commander Zaryin would like to confirm the troop's departure soon," she said timidly.

Zalgo ran a hand over his face and sighed. "Very well. Take me to him."

They walked in silence through the halls and to the courtyard of the castle. Tabitha kept a safe distance away from him and was looking directly at the floor the entire time. Her hooves clicked on the hard floor of the castle grounds and echoed off the walls. It was a weird sound that reminded him of when you would trot down the hallway as a little boy and run into his wife's arms and kiss her cheeks.

The demon king growled under his breath and shook his head. Now was not the time to be pitying you. Tabitha glanced sideways at the man and gulped. "Is something wrong, my Lord?"

"We're about to go to war against my all time nemesis and my son, and you ask me if something is wrong," he seethed, his eyes glowing a bright and eerie red color.

The servant gulped again and ducked her head. "I apologize," she whispered.

Zalgo sighed and waved his hand in dismissal. "You can go, I can get there on my own," he said, giving her an excuse to leave and prevent any more awkward silence between the two.

"Yes, my Lord." The servant girl curtsied and darted back the way they came.

Once he stepped foot outside into the courtyard, Commander Zaryin was waiting with five hordes of demons, twenty of them in one horde (I dare you to do the math). Zaryin smiled and bowed to Zalgo, greeting him without fear. "I am correct in saying that Tabitha retrieved you without issue?"

"Yes," Zalgo answered, "she didn't have a panic attack at the sight of me this time."

Zaryin laughed and put a hand on his shoulder. "That was an eventful moment indeed," he chuckled, "but in all seriousness, my Lord, my soldiers are ready to fight. Just say when and we'll open the portal."

"No," he held up a hand, "I gave them until sunset. They still have two more hours. I'm anything if not a man to my word."

The Commander snorted. "Yeah, and I eat babies for breakfast."

"But you do - oh..." Zalgo narrowed his eyes.

He bursted into laughter. Zalgo let a small smile tug at the end of his lips at the childish demon. That's what he loved about Zaryin: he was never afraid to give his honest opinion to Zalgo, which was a big change from he usual replies of "of course, my Lord" and "absolutely, my Lord". Sometimes it was good to have people give their honest opinion because it could help you see the situation in a better perspective. "Touché."

Zaryin stopped laughing long enough to speak. "Always prepared to tease you, Lord Zalgo."

"You find greater pleasure in it than you should," he muttered.