CHAPTER 47

Alexander walked down the hallway, towards his study, feeling fresh and energetic like never before. It felt like he was ready to conquer the entire fucking world. Having her by his side did the magic and he loved this magical power she had on him. He loved this life; getting up feeling her warmth, making love to her, feeling her soft skin, watching her moan and tremble beneath him as he took her, and above all, he loved how she would loosen up her restraints and take the charge to try and dominate him. With a small smile playing on his lips, he fixed his tie before twisting the door knob to his study.

"Good morning, Martha." He wished, as soon as he saw her cleaning his shelves. He did not want her to work, but the old lady wouldn't listen. She was stubborn like that.

"Good Morning, love." she greeted him, stopping her activities and smiled at him. She narrowed her eyes and lifted her head slightly with a knowing smile on her face as she observed him. He was neatly folding his sleeves near his right elbow.

"Someone looks very happy and radiant today." She teased, in a happy tone.

He immediately lifted his head and looked at her.

"Who's that?" he questioned, trying his best to contain the smile that was threatening to erupt from his lips. He shoved his hands inside his pockets and walked towards the lady who was not any less of a mother to him.

"Don't try to play those tricks on this old lady, darling. I have been with you for more than half of my life, for Christ sake!" she exclaimed. She hated it when he tried to cross question his way out from answering her questions.

"Come here, Alex" she called out to him, smiling softly as she looked at the young vibrant man in front of her. She was by his side since the very beginning, and had watched him turn into a ruthless, arrogant and sharp man. She wasn't very proud of what he was doing in life, but loved him nevertheless. And, Alexander only revealed himself to this one lady. She knew him completely and could read him through his masked emotions. There were times when he cried on her shoulder, not being able to take anymore of the pain and longing. When he used to get up with nightmares that rattled his entire being, she would be there to lull him back to sleep. After all, Alexander was once an innocent boy and would never have thought that he would change into such a ruthless being.

Alexander stood in front of her awkwardly. He never had the habit of obeying someone and was only used to the opposite; others obeying his orders. But this, he did. Because the lady in front of him, was close to his heart and he cared for her deeply. She took his hands in her own and he looked at her, with all seriousness this time.

"I am not very proud of what you do for a living...." She started but was immediately cut off by him.

"What I do for a part of a living." He pointed out, stressing on the word-part.

"Whatever! Do not interrupt me while I speak! Let me continue." She chastised and continued. "Even though I do not approve of your actions, I love you immensely and will always want the best for you. The life I live now, the medicines, the treatments, everything was something that you gave me, and I will be eternally grateful for everything you have done, love."

"Where is this going, Martha?" he questioned, feeling uneasy inside.

She completely ignored him and continued.

"I want you to be careful with whatever you do from now on, because it is not only your life, but also another beautiful soul attached to you. I don't have to tell you all this Alex, but I want to. I want you to be careful and if you can, son....." she trailed off and gulped the pain stuck in her throat. "Please leave this place and go back to California; the place where you were born. Everything will be fine when you leave, Alex. I want you both to be safe. Please, love."