Chapter 42

It took Ally and the rest just a minute to vanish, leaving me and Carter alone in an awkward silence. He was wearing a black hoodie with a black jacket and jeans. His bag hung over his shoulder. He watched the rest disappear behind his back. Ally made sure to close the door.

After staring at the door for a moment he turned and looked at me.

"Hey" he said with a pause and then walking over to the couch, dropping his bag on it.

"Hi" I replied, every part of me conscious of him as I took in his every move.

Was it just me or could he feel it too? The air that surrounded us had changed. It was like we were meeting for the first time, like we didn't know each other the way we do, the memories that we shared were never there. It was all because of his confession, every thing changed after that, everything has to change after that and even though he doesn't know I heard it he should be able to feel this tension in the atmosphere.

"Its good to have you back" he said walking over to me. 

I nodded as I watched him grab a chair from behind and bring it close to the bed. He sat down and looked at me.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, concern covering his face.

"I'm good" I replied with a smile.

He relaxed a bit after seeing me smile.

"I'm not disturbing you right?"

"Oh no, of course not" I replied which was a lie.

I was utterly exhausted at this moment, all through the day meeting so many people was refreshing but tiring. A pain has made its way to my shoulders and back, my eyes were heavy and all I wanted to do was curl up in bed and sleep. But I wanted to spend some time with Carter, I didn't wanted him to go just yet.

"Your parents must be really happy to see you, they missed you alot, everyone missed you" he said not looking me in the eye.

What about you? I wanted to say. Why can't you admit to my face that you missed me too?

I saw him hesitate for a moment and then reach out to my hand, holding it with such care that I didn't know he was capable of.

"You scared all of us" he said and I now realised he was talking about himself.

"For...for a moment we all thought we lost you"

He stared at our hands joined together, making small circles on it with his thumb. He paused for a second and then shook his head.

"Anyways your back now" he said looking up at me with a small smile.

I nodded with a smile of my own, my eyes shifting from his face to our hands.

"I asked the doctor, they said you were recovering quick now, they'll discharge you in a week" he said.

"Yea, I'll go to my mother's" I said.

I don't know why I said it, probably because I wanted him to come visit me.

"I know, its a good idea, your mom will be able to take care of you" he said.

I was surprised that he knew about it. My mom would have told him.

"But I want to stay with my dad at my house" I said pouting a little.

"Your dad is busy, you can't be left on your own" he replied seriously.

His features softened after seeing my face.

"But once you get healthy again you can go back"

I nodded at his attempt to make me feel better. I could feel my eyes dropping but I didn't wanted him to leave just yet. I was waiting, waiting for him to say all that he said to me yesterday. Every singlw word of it so I'm sure that I didn't imagine it.