Chapter 53

I stare at Ally wide eyed, at the sparkling ring on her finger. Diamond shining proudly. My eyes drift back to Ally's face and I can't tell if her face is shining more or the ring. This can't be happening, she can't be serious. Her smile is bigger than I have ever seen in my life. She stare back at me waiting for my reply, waiting for me to get excited and congratulate her. Tell her how happy I am to see her happy.

But I wasn't, I wasn't excited or happy. I was scared and unsure and doubtful for her. I thought this was a bad decision.

"Eva, hello. You can't believe it right? Can you imagine how I was feeling when he asked me to marry him? I was so sure it was a dream, I still think its a dream-"

"This can't be happening" I said my voice so low it could pass as a whisper but she heard it.

She came and sat down next to be, her smile a little smaller but still there, intact.

"What do you mean?" She said looking at me.

"Ally you can't be serious? He asked you to marry him after avoiding you for weeks? And you went ahead and said yes?"

"He said he was conflicted, needed time to realize his feelings. That when I told him I loved him he didn't know how to react. Eva he said he has been in love with me since we were little. Remember when me and Caroline and Drake were friends? He said he liked me since then but didn't know how to tell me. He proposed cause he didn't want me getting away from him ever again. Isn't that just so nice?"

"You've got to be kidding me Ally" I said standing up.

"You don't understand what I'm saying, do you even know what marriage is? Its not like dating okay! Its different, its commitment."

"I know what a marriage is Eva. I don't get why your reacting like this. I'm not that stupid to just agree to something that huge so casually. Its because I love him and see a future with him."

"You are stupid Ally" I said frustrated.

I knew I was being mean and rude and everything that I'm not but I couldn't help it.

"How long have you been dating him? five months? Is that enough to know him completely? Its Drake we are talking about, have you forgotten his reputation in school? New girl every week? How can you be sure he's sincere with you and won't run off to someone else? He left you for Caroline remember? And God how old are you? Just eighteen Ally! Your suppose to be thinking about your future-"

"Drake is my future" She replied all traces of a smile gone and replaced by hurt.

I felt guilt rise inside my body, fast and hot. But I wasn't done it.

"You don't love him Ally, you just love the idea of someone loving you. You were so heartbroken after Mason's rejection that you started dating a guy like Drake. You don't know what love is."

"THAT'S ENOUGH" said Ally standing up, tears running down her face.

"If you can't be happy for me and my decisions that's fine. But you have absolutely no right to insult me, Drake and our love for each other."

She started walking to the door. I wanted to stop her, wanted to apologies for the way I behaved and the words I said but instead I said this:

"Does your parents know about this?"

"Not yet. I wanted you to be the first to know"

"does his parents know?"

"I get that the only example that you have of marriage is a broken one, but remember one thing Eva. Me and Drake, aren't your parents."