Part One - Never too old for a party

A/N New story alert. Not sure how this will go down. Seem to be conjuring up more unlikeable characters. Hope you enjoy.
And a huge thank you to mahgadahling for the amazing new cover for this story.

"Hey hey girlfriend, I am SO excited about tonight."

Julia Curtis was stooped over her laptop on the makeshift desk but full time dining table in the living area of the flat she shared with her best friend Abi Taylor.

Looking up she smiled innocently at said best friend. "What about tonight?"

Abi leaned in the doorway and rolled her eyes, "you are such a pain in the arse on times Miss Curtis, do you know that? TONIGHT!"

Julia sighed, "so you're excited about your birthday party, is that what you're saying?"

With a giggle she jumped up and down excitedly, "it's not every day that a girl has a thirtieth birthday party."

Julia smiled; she had no idea that tonight was SO much more than a birthday party. Her boyfriend of three years Luke was planning to propose. She really had NO idea, and Julia was finding it increasingly difficult to hide the secret from her friend. She couldn't wait for the night to start and the cat to get out of the bag. Abi would be so happy, and she truly deserved it.

An hour later, Abi was rapping furiously at her bedroom door, Julia looked at herself in the mirror. She groaned. She wasn't the dramatic beauty that her friend was, and when she stood beside her, she felt that so acutely. Abi with her luscious curves, luminous red hair and the greenest eyes was a classic Venetian beauty worthy of immortalising in a priceless painting. She on the other hand was average at best. Her dark brown hair too unruly, her skin too pale - she needed a good holiday and some sun on her skin, and the dress she'd thought would be perfect made her look slutty. Red. Why did she think that red would be appropriate?

It was strapless and managed to combine the opposites of both clinging to her out of proportion boobs, then sagging off her slimmer frame a few inches lower. When she tried it on in the shop it had hugged her body in what Abi assured her was a sexy manner, but today it looked misshapen, then there was the split in the tight above knee skirt that revealed far too much thigh.

Opening the door she grimaced at Abi, who glowed in her emerald dress, it illuminated her eyes and set off her hair perfectly making her milky white flesh seem almost translucent...in contrast to her own dull pallor.

"Julia, what's wrong?"

She hated that her unhappiness was so obvious; she didn't want to spoil Abi's night. "It's nothing. You look amazing."

Abi smiled her gracious smile, "I have to say today, I feel it. But...you look..." She placed a hand on each of her upper arms, "Julia...you look...thin..."

Julia fought a swell of tears that threatened to fall at her friend's directness, hating that her friend saw straight through her. It had looked better on her just a few weeks earlier. Abi was right. But then she was the only person aware of her past, or rather her history of an eating disorder. It had been under control for years, but in times of stress...it was an avenue of control that she knew she was only ever a step away from. And she was currently very stressed.

"I'm eating Abs, I swear. I'm just tense at the moment. Honest."

Abi pulled her close, "I hope so. Because I love you Jules, you know that?"

She smiled, "ditto baby." She returned the hug, "now let's go party."

Linking arms, she tried to ignore the turbulent feelings inside her, this was all about Abi and she wasn't about to spoil anything. She had to manage herself better. She could do that.