Part Fifty Seven - Back to my friend

A/N Another chapter - just a few to go, but think you're all going to hate this one, sorry. Explosive finale is on the horizon.

Chapter Fifty Seven

"So it's all set?"

Abi's screeches were slightly slower than the expressions on her face as Julia smiled at her phone screen.

"Yup, I land at around nine. I shall be the one looking like an excited teenager."

Abi giggled, "and I'll be the one there to embarrass you, just wait!"

She groaned, "you are a bad girl, Abigail."

That made her friend squeal, "I haven't deserved a full name chastisement for a long time!"

By the time she tossed her phone onto her desk, Julia's face was painful from smiling for so long. A huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders, getting home to Abi seemed like the last thing that she needed in her life, time to catch up with her friend, she hadn't been honest with her, and the new Julia needed to get things off her chest. This was the time to do that, before the chaos of the wedding.

The week passed quickly, Aaron seemed much happier, despite the looming funeral for Kitty, he was tying up lots of loose ends and seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Kitty's children had descended on his office on Wednesday morning, three days after her passing, angry at the fact that she was resting in Brooklyn, and that the funeral planned was against everything they wanted. He sat and listened, his mind drifting to Julia far too often and the way he'd left her that morning, exhausted and draped over his bed. She was going away soon, and he had to tell her how he felt before then, it was getting ridiculous....she was in his every thought, he couldn't go on until she knew that.

Thursday was after work drinks night...when Friday wasn't an option. Another exhibition was dragging most of her team for a Friday night launch, so at half past six she found herself in another of their favourite haunts in the Upper West Side.

Taylor, after one drink, was sat on Jerome's lap, everyone else was demolishing tacos. She wanted to go home...which was that condo in Brooklyn heights. That in her mind was home...where the heart was?

That thought made her freeze, in her tracks. It was almost choking to think about how much she relied on Aaron, day after day, he gave so much for her, to her. It scared her, terrified her, but she also knew she'd miss him terribly when she left. And in six weeks she'd be winding up, packing up planning her permanent move home.

Shuddering, she reached for her phone, her first instinct to text Aaron.

You working late? I was hankering after some wings from that bar around the corner?

It was no lie, their local bar did GREAT wings. And when her phone buzzed within seconds, she couldn't break the smile from her face.

Sounds perfect. I can be there in fifteen. You?

Grinning she typed a reply as she said her goodbyes to her colleagues,

I'm miles away, but if you order in, I reckon I can beat the kitchen?

Normally she'd use public transport, but today she was trying to hail a cab. It was a luxury she couldn't afford, but still, needs must. And she needed to be home.