Part Fifty One - bursting the bubble

Chapter Fifty One

"Are you OK?"

Aaron slipped back into his seat and stared at Julia nursing her glass of wine like a comfort blanket. It was a long moment before she nodded.

"My mother...." she dipped her head towards her phone. "Perfect timing to ruin my day."

He sighed, his news that he was disappearing would be a double whammy. He bit his tongue over that for a moment, "what she want?"

Julia rolled her eyes, "for me to accept the money...'for the family'."

"Ouch."

That made her smile, "ouch indeed. Needless to say I hung up."

"You thought about what you want to do with it, for definite?"

She took a long slug of wine before replying. "I thought of what you said, setting up a charity...but I'll never be free of him, of it...and I hate that."

"I get that. But you can use it for the greater good, to help others. That might make you feel at least you are sticking your finger up at him."

"But someone would have to run it, manage whatever I set up...and that would be torture...every single day."

It was a no win conversation, that was for sure, he had hoped that she'd get more clarity over things, but the damage caused to her psyche by that bastard of a man was deep rooted.

"He can't hurt you any more, and you are growing everyday. That's enough for now, hey?"

She nodded, and the conversation ended with the arrival of their tapas, he could only smile as Julia dived in head first.

The sun was setting in the distance, people strolled along the wooden promenade, and they had a perfect view from their table outside the bar to watch the world go by. He'd not spent time like the last few months with her in forever. And he was enjoying it. Once this disaster in Seattle was managed, he was determined to step back. He had grafted for far too long, he needed to delegate, step back and start to enjoy life.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Her quiet voice dragged him from the depths of his thoughts.

"Not worth a penny, just thinking about how perfect this is, relaxing....not working..."

"Luke said you're a workaholic."

That made him smile, "what do you think?"

She pondered rather too deliberately, and far too long before she offered, "well, you are married to your office....you put in ridiculously long days...but you take time to visit an ill octogenarian, you care for two cute puppies....and you have a well stocked fridge in your roof top garden. I'd say the boy knows how to play....he just don't do it often enough."

He laughed at her attempt at a gangster voice, "you have helped me, made me see what I'm missing."

Again she rolled her eyes, "me? I am the least adventurous and exciting person in the world."

"You know that's not true."

The waiter appeared and took their plates, he took that chance to ask for the bill, "let's walk."

He tossed enough cash to cover the meal, then held out a hand to her. For a moment he thought she'd decline, but her small hand slid into his and they started the stroll.