Part Fifty Four - a country retreat

A/N - An apology isn't even enough, will finish this story asap, I promise. 

Chapter Fifty Four

Adele was one of the nicest people that Julia had met. She'd been in the house for less than fifteen minutes and she felt at home. A quick tour of the lounge, the guest suite and kitchen preceded a glance at the large outdoor pool.

"Aaron said you like to swim? We're going to light the grill in a few hours. Did you bring a swimsuit?"

Julia nodded, watching the baby squirming in her arms, "I did."

Adele was still watching her, watching the baby, "you want a cuddle? I could get us some coffee."

Julia panicked, she couldn't remember when she'd last held a baby, there were very few occasions, she knew that. She started to refuse, back up against the wall, but then Casper gurgled, his big blue eyes looking up at her, and her heart melted.

Biting her lip, her nervous twitch, Julia gave a nod, then held out her hands. He was strong, sitting in her arms, reaching out a pudgy hand to smack at her cheek, her mouth. Turning her head, she kissed his hand, then looked from his angelic face to his mother, "he's beautiful."

"Thank you," Adele offered from across the kitchen, "we're kind of proud of him."

Julia's eyes flicked between the bundle of joy in her arms and the coffee making occurring across the room, amazed at how special it felt to have a baby in her arms. Aaron, his friends, his life....he was making her see so many things, experiences, feelings, moments to cherish, and this was definitely one of them.

And it was that idyllic sight that stole the breath from Aaron's chest as he followed Tom into the kitchen.

Tom gasped, "she's got you babysitting already?" Laughing he elbowed his wife, before stealing a cup of coffee,

Adele rolled her eyes, "your son is adorable, and FYI I am making coffee!"

Laughing, he pulled her into his arms and planted his lips on hers, a little too enthusiastically for company in Aaron's opinion, but then they weren't ever in each other's company that often, other than the office, or on the road. When his eyes drifted to Julia's, she was blushing, biting her lips as Casper tapped her cheek with his chubby hand.

"Hey mate," he moved to look down at him, over her shoulder. His bright blue eyes looked back, unyielding, his lips curled into a smile. "He's a handsome bugger, don't know where he comes from Hadden."

Tom rolled his eyes as he clapped Aaron on the back, and the two men disappeared out into the garden.

Half an hour later after Julia insisted on helping Adele prep for the meal, both women headed upstairs to change.

The only time that Aaron forget who, and what he was, was when he was here, out of the city with his friends, and more recently with Julia. Today was no exception, he helped Tom clean the pool, clear the garden furniture, prepare the grill for dinner. And they were both working and talking when he heard a splash from behind. Under the water was a body, and it wasn't until the familiar head of Julia emerged from the water, hair plastered down her back, water streaming from her face, that he realised who it was. She slowed in front of them, and he groaned as she stood, revealing she was wearing a one piece swimsuit and not the bikini he'd been fantasising over, not that he was disappointed. She was beautiful in a bin bag.