Part Thirty Three - making a break for it

Chapter Thirty Three

Julia felt the heat of the warm water wash over every inch of her body, and it was more than just cleansing. She'd left work, (was that two days ago?) after opening the letter that had been specially delivered to her office, and the overwhelming pain and fear was back. Since she'd read the news that her uncle has passed away, she had been on edge. For years she'd been stable, successful, the past definitely bottled away. Other than her inability to let a man get close to her. She thought about all the rough encounters she'd had with men, hoping each time that she'd feel something closer to desire, to pleasure, but she never did.

When her uncle died, she started to spiral, the news that he had been trying to appeal his conviction almost broke her in two...then there was the letter. Hateful, hurtful, her uncle was trying to laugh at her from beyond the grave, how dare she cross him, this was his revenge. That's what he was saying to her.

As she washed her hair, her focus switched to Aaron, the first man she could call a friend, the only man she'd ever wanted to get close to. He had haled her, supported her as she unloaded all her dirty secrets, and he hadn't judged, he hadn't recoiled. He was downstairs making her coffee, he wanted to help her, and he still wanted to know her. It wasn't enough to drive him away, not like others. Not like her family. No one welcomed her anymore, no one wanted to believe that the golden boy Edward had done what he had. She must have encouraged him, a child who knew so little about life. She'd been shunned, talked about...but not him.

No, Aaron was like Abi, in her corner, believing everything without question.

That made her want to smile, there was some hope, she wasn't useless, she wasn't worthless, people wanted to be around her, regardless. Dr Fleming was right, sharing with the right person wasn't a negative thing, it was empowering and freeing. That was Aaron. Her saviour of sorts. Just like Abi.

In the sanctity of the kitchen, Aaron had punched the wall, how could a man ruin a life so easily and without consequence? Death was too good for the bastard. He'd come down to make coffee whilst Julia showered, there was still so much to discuss, but she had to have a break, he knew that. He wasn't sure what he was expecting to hear, but it wasn't the depth of despair that she'd demonstrated. He was in awe of the fact that she was stood there, today, successful and beautiful and so apparently strong. Every day she fought her demons and hid it all so well. Something had happened to make her spiral this time, he got that. But she didn't realise how strong she was, how amazing she was. She needed to know how inspirational she was. And it was his job to do just that.

Now he'd had to fill the coffee machine with a sore hand, he was no fighter, much more a lover. The coffee machine plinked as it brewed, and he squatted down to feed the dogs, they were confused by the whole night, that was obvious. Standing back up, he heard her on the stairs. Walking to meet her he gave a smile, she looked better, hair fresh, skin invigorated, even her eyes didn't look so haunted.

"You ok?"

She nodded, "thanks."

"For what?"

Stepping towards him, she wrapped her arms around him, "for listening, for being there. For...I don't know. You make me want to move on, live my life."

He reciprocated, holding her close, breathing her in. "You are so strong, you don't even realise it."

Pulling back, she shook her head, "no. I'm not."