Part Twenty Six - Painting the town red

Chapter Twenty Six

This rooftop bar was the greatest, and Abi, more than a little bit drunk, leaned in to tell her that, as they waited for the men to return from the bar. The view of the city lights was amazing, the company – well Abi, the best...and the boys were providing seemingly unlimited alcohol and food. They'd eaten wings, dips, and a huge steak each, all punctuated with glasses of wine for the girls, beer for the boys. Afternoon was becoming night, and Julia realised her friend was exhausted. Jetlag, travel and excessive living was catching up with her.

When Luke and Aaron came back to the table, Abi was leaning against Julia, a smile on her face, but fatigue very evident.

"Do you want to go?" Aaron looked at the drinks they'd just bought.

Julia shrugged, "she's had a long day." Then stroking her hair affectionately, she added, "we can go after these?"

Luke sighed, "I'd say I'm disappointed, but you're right...it's been a long day."

Aaron laughed, "suppose it is about two am back home."

Forty minutes later, the taxi pulled up to the apartment block, and they all got out. Luke helped Abi, then turned to Aaron, "It's only ten, why don't you two head out? We'll be ok. Hopefully we'll be brighter tomorrow."

As Aaron was about to answer, Julia shook her head, "no, it's fine. We'll can turn in to."

She wanted nothing more than to disappear and lick her wounds, it was still early, and she had no idea if that would happen. But he thought of going out, just her and Aaron, it scared her.

"Oh, Jules. Don't stay in out my account. It's Friday night, go have fun. Don't make me feel guilty. I will be raring to go and full on it tomorrow."

She didn't want to go, but refusing would look awkward, and she wasn't about to make a scene, even if Aaron was across from her smirking.

"An hour, in that bar I like. That's it."

He lifted an eyebrow and laughed, "the basement bar?"

When she nodded he laughed, it was loud in there, that would mean there would be little conversation, safe for her. He gave a nonchalant shrug, then led everyone up to the apartment.

Once the others were settled for the night, Aaron led her out into the dark. Julia though she'd need to be defensive, that he'd be trying to talk, to iron out whatever he thought was going on, instead he smiled and walked beside her in silence as they crossed two blocks to her favourite local bar.

There was no charge to get in, but there were security at the door, it got busy on the weekends, and they had more recently been a part of the night. The two surly men smiled at them both as they approached, commented on the warmth of the night, then opened the door that led to the basement.

They'd shared a few drinks in Manhattan with Abi and Luke, but not enough that she felt like he was on the edge of feeling drunk.

"What do you want?" he asked, heading to the bar.

"Could murder a Cosmo."

He lifted an eyebrow, then gave her that devastating smile, before turning to the bar. When he joined her, he had her drink, pink and cold in a martini glass, he had a tumbler with something whisky coloured over ice.