Part Thirty Five - Facing the facts

Chapter Thirty Five

Clunking and banging dragged Julia from the depths of a dream, a dream where she was protected, curled up and safe. She woke with that feeling but was angry that she couldn't remember anything more, because she longed to go back to that place. With waking came the reality of the last two days, and yet another breakdown witnessed by Aaron bloody Harding. She'd fallen asleep in his arms, but had woken a little later, on the sofa, cold and sad, very sad. She'd changed into her pyjamas, looking at the large, empty bed, and had done what she had told herself she wouldn't. She'd sought out Aaron, and slipped under the sheets next to him, he'd barely opened his eyes when he opened his arms to her, and she wrapped herself around him. Warm, safe and toasty.

Groaning she rolled on to her back, that was the dream, or partly the reality...Aaron was the security she was looking for.

More clunking caused her to roll into sitting, and she sighed, another night relying on Aaron, she had to sort this shit out.

In the lounge, the curtains were pulled back and billowing in the soft breeze coming thought the open balcony doors. The table was laid with coffee, juice and a basket of pastries, and at the sight and smell, her stomach rumbled.

"Sleep well?" She almost jumped out of her skin when a voice beside her murmured at her ear, far too sexily. At her reaction, he chuckled, "sorry, didn't mean to surprise you."

Sighing she turned to him, "liar, you crept up on me on purpose."

She used to find his shrugs annoying, but she couldn't help but smile as he looked coyly at her, "you are so suspicious, Miss Curtis."

With an arm he encouraged her out to the balcony, "breakfast..."

He nodded, "I told you yesterday that things have to change, and it starts today."

She should be angry, he was stopping her from not eating, one of her very bad habits, "I should punch you."

Aaron grinned, his cheeky grin, "you can if you like, as long as you eat breakfast..."

His hesitation was speaking volumes, "what? What else?"

Running a hand through his hair, he offered, "Abi...she's called and text me relentlessly. You need to speak to her...she knows about the will, about the money...your mother told her."

Julia gritted her teeth, "my bloody mother..."

"Abi's worried out of her mind, she is giving me all kinds of shit, she's thinking that I am blocking you from talking to her."

That made Julia smile, "poor Ab, she spends her life worrying about me. She's had so much shit..."

"She loves you, she doesn't think you're a burden."

She stared at him, how the hell did he know what she was thinking?

"But I AM a burden...to her, to you...to everyone."

Rolling his eyes, he pulled out a chair, forced her to sit down before snarling, "you are not a fucking burden, you need to stop with that. People love you, appreciate you, and want you around, ok?"

Shrugging, she reached for the orange juice, and filled her glass, "I'm sure you believe that, but I don't."

She was almost gloating in her manner as he sat opposite her. She was disappointed that he didn't retaliate, and she could feel the scowl on her face. And hated that too.